Natural Rock Walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by zinkjo, Jun 21, 2005.

1. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Need advice on 2 questions:
    1) what should i use as filler between the rocks (peagravel, mulch, etc)
    2) any advice on how to build the step

The bed in front of the walkway will be mulched out and have 2 arborvitaes, a bunch of hosta and a few spirea.

walkway.JPG

walkway2.JPG

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

you can bury the bricks you have there underneath the 1st two stones then face them with smaller stones for your step up.You can use little colored pebbles packed in between or plant creeping thyme it will fill in in a year or so.
    Now comments on the way you laid the walk:You started going wrong IMO at the first two stones,your better of dispersing the larger stones throughout yhe walk rather than useing two large at the beggining,it makes it look funny cuz small in the center part of the walk and oversized at the beggining.I would yank it up and start over,there are several placements that you could do much better with the way they relate to each other visualy.People don't walk that way.Keep in mind the natural stride of a person and walk it yourself a few times.When you went to 3 stones wide it went wrong.If you have to go get different or more rock then that's what you have to do.
    I pulled one Arizona flagstone walk thru a garden 3 times before I liked it one time,and that is after I laid it out and marked it off the walkway 1st

3. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I will be back at the site on Friday. I like the look of your patio. Obviously a different rock, but same concept. What did you use for the edging? Is that just plastic edging? any recommendations ?

4. sheshovel

Yes it's"Just"plastic edging the 1"thick stuff and it's been in this garden several years now and I have used it in a few applications without any problems at all with it.

5. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

How ya doing? I was wondering from looking at your pics if you mainly do the wet side of the highway(I'm guessing from the house) or if you dip into Holmdel, Lincroft and Colts Neck. I have been pretty spread out on Landscape work across a large area and have done pretty well so far on medium to large scale jobs and was wondering how you do on the smaller properties.

6. sheshovel

Those arent his pics they are Sheshovels work and I am in California.I did the garden from the ground up