Natural stone retaining wall pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by D Felix, Sep 4, 2004.

1. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to post some pics of a stone wall we did this summer. It was the first time I'd used natural stone with the company I work for now; it was also the first time I'd used it in several years.

Some before pictures to get it all started...

These were taken back in March when we first met with the clients. The work was not done until June/July so there'll be more leaves on the trees in later pics.:D

Sorry about the quality of some of these, I was still getting used to the way the digital camera works back then....

Dan

imag0006.jpg

2. D Felix

As you can see, the existing "wall", if you will, was a bunch of chunks of logs that were placed along the driveway. They obviously were no longer looking decent.

The challenge for us was deciding how to do the job. We knew they wanted walls, but all we had done to that point was SRW's. The driveway is basically a terrace, we would have been installing the wall on the left side of the drive with the back of the block visible. That didn't sit well with us, so we decided to use the natural wall stone.

Figured out later that we could have used block, and installed some 9x9 (or similiar, large sized) pavers along the back of the wall, kind of as a "stand up" edge.:rolleyes:

I think it turned out fine, though. Those pics are coming.....

This is the left side of the driveway.

Dan

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

where are the pics?

4. D Felix

Forgot to attach the pic. Sorry.

I_plant- be patient, I've got several more!

Dan

imag0008.jpg

5. D Felix

This is the top end of the driveway, right side.

Dan

imag0009.jpg

6. D Felix

This is the same side, looking down the hill. Should be a little clearer picture.

Dan

imag0018.jpg

7. D Felix

This picture is from one of the last days we were there. I think it may actually be from the last day, before we had it all cleaned up and finished. That was a long day.:)

This is the right side, taken from the end of the driveway.

picture 002.jpg

8. D Felix

Top end of the driveway, right side. We hope to be able to do some plantings for them next year sometime. First priority is to hide the #$%^# d*mn propane tank!:)

Dan

picture 004.jpg

9. D Felix

Here's one of my ugly a$$, making some "modifications" to a stone. Sometimes you have to "persuade" them to fit like you want to.

Every once in a GREAT while, you get lucky and they just slide right in like OJ's hand in an unshrunk Isotoner.........:)

Dan

picture 010.jpg

10. D Felix

This is after we finished. Right side, bottom of the driveway.

Like I said before, it was a long day. We finished loading everything as it was getting dark. And that was the middle of July!

We still need to get back to take some better "after" pictures, but this one and a couple more will have to do for now.

Dan

picture 015.jpg