Natural Stone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

6' Granite steps (rock face) 6'x3' landings. Thermal gray stone 4 sizes.

st1.jpg

st2.jpg

st3.jpg

st4.jpg

st5.jpg

2. Captains Landscape

------------------------------

st6.jpg

st7.jpg

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

dose that stone all ready come cut like that our are you cutting each one? do you compact your sand then lay stone or do you run a compactor over the stone after your done? and if you dont mind saying whats ajob like that run? my guess would bo about 8k-10k

4. Captains Landscape

As does thermal bluestone this stone comes in set dimensions. 12x18, 24x24, 24x18, 12x12. There are variances in thickness. My plan is to use a lawn roller and series of blankets to set the stone deeper in the bedding sand. It will be necessary to hand level some stone in the end. The stone is way to fragile to use the compactor or even deadblow. 15-20k, existing sub soil is all clay:dizzy:

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the info! wow was i off on that price!!

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Price sounds fair. I like your work, we're much alike. Does the flagstone meet flush with the first tread? I'm just wondering with slope is there going o be 1" above on one side or not.

How do the spacers work out for you? Its a good idea but stone isn't ever consistant. I measure each stone as installed and space or cut accordingly to get things lined up right.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you dug down to the frost line for that fire pit and poured a footing!!

Work looks good except for that trip stair!

8. Captains Landscape

Both of The first steps should be about 1/2" above patio grade. I wanted it flush, but slope superseded that.
    My supplier will take back any stone that is out of true or cracked, this stone seems very consistent. The spacers work great (3/8") for $6 I wouldn't do it with out em.

9. Captains Landscape

mrusk, no I didn't pour a 5' footing for a fire pit, sorry. It has rebar all around at 1' deep. For the granite concrete slabs on the other hand, they are drilled to the foundation along with 5' sauna tube footings.

10. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Looks nice but why have the first step at all?