natural wild onion control?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by mrkosar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anybody know a way to get rid of wild onions without herbicide?

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pull them out by hand.

3. mrkosar

from Ohio

i thought with teh bulbs they will spread more when pulled by hand.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

salad dressing

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'm hating wild onions and garlic right now.

I'm going to have to learn more about them and figure out what I have changed in my programs or what weather changes have caused them to get so bad.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They are really bad in Kentcuky too this year Envy. Must be the Winter we had here in the east that has them thriving but who knows. Its causing a lot of early mowing here this year.

7. mrkosar

from Ohio

so does anybody know how to get rid of them besides pulling them or pouring some Thousand Island on them and eating them out of the lawn?

upidstay, do you know if pulling them will cause them to spread because of the bulbs? that is the last thing i need.

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

pulling them is really the most effective way, but the corms (reproductive parts) are really prone to separating when pulled. In all likelihood, you're looking at at least a year of manually removing them as soon as they pop up.

Something has them growing like crazy here in VA as well. I have a 2' wide strip between my fence and the road. Last year I had a couple of tufts, but as of right now it's almost solid onion for the whole 70' length!

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Try pulling them when the ground is wet, they pull much easier and you wont leave near as many bulbs in the ground.