Nature trail construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcclureandson, Jan 21, 2007.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Anyone have experience with these? I've got two developments with plans for a nature/walking trail. Each are about 2500-3000 linear feet. We'll have to grade through flat terrain/gently sloping woods about 6' wide/5-6" deep. Backfill/compact crushed rock screenings w/no edging. Possibly a couple of arched culverts w/rip-rap sides. I've looked online at trailbuilding associations and the machine of choice seems to be a 'trail dozer'. Essenstially a small dozer with rather narrow bucket (which can angle) and rippers on the back-end (weighs about 10,000lbs). It's used alot out west to maintain government trails.

I've got the jobs already...just wondering how to work up an acceptable price for labor. My first thoughts put it in the range of 35,000-40,000 bucks per mile. Anyone installed something like this? Also, I'm wondering if a skid-steer (maybe with tracks would be better) that's fitted with an angle blade/four-way bucket would be alright to cut a wide, shallow trench for the path. I'm not sure I could find a 'trail dozer' in my area. Link is to picture of trail dozer in use.
    Thanks for any input.