1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Natures Helper Compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have been searching high and low for a good compost and I think I may have found it. EVERYONE has mushroom compost. That in itself worries me that it is so readily available, but I have also heard and read a lot of things that tells me to stay away from it. Better safe that sorry right? I want to do this right.

I finally came across this product at a smaller nursery on my way to a job. It is a little out of the way but if the product is a good one I am willing to make the drive until I can get my own made.

So has anyone heard of Nature's Helper compost? It looked pretty good, I have looked at a lot of compost the past week or so and when I saw this it looked like what I wanted. I have tried researching it online but can't find much info on it.

Thanks for any info,
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Try to support your local growers and composters

ask ernie over at green leaf he may have a line on a good composter in the area
  3. DeepGreenLawn

LOL, earnie was a good guy but I think the hearing is going a little down hill. I asked if he had any compost and he said yeah, we ended up at your product. I just smiled and said OK. After I get to know him pretty well I am thinking about hitting him up to use some of his property for a compost site, he has old wood chips everywhere and he seemed like a good enough guy that we could work something out.

Who knows,
  4. DeepGreenLawn

By the way, if your looking for a planting soil, then this would work. Use as a top dress, just as good as everything else I could find. IT SUCKED. Might as well make your own for topdress. Will save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

The good thing about this... this means there is not ANY good compost around here. Looks like a gap I need to fill what do you think? Sounds like a need that needs to be taken care of. You getting my drift?

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see It now Deep...100 plus cows 20 horses...the conveorers big smoken piles of stage 1,2 and 3 compost... skid steers ,tractors...summer helpers filling and selling "compost by DeepGreen"...In compostable bags (paper)...flyers going out...It's brown gold

6. DeepGreenLawn

YEAH BABY! Hopefully next year something VERY similar will be in operation. No livestock, I just get that from near by farms and stables. I want about 4 rows as long as you can see of compost working.

The thing is to let people know that this is compost and not "compost". The trash down the road is just that when compared to real compost. Bring it to me and I will turn their "compost" into real compost.