Navigator w/ Mulch kit, Dose it work well???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vanguard, Apr 11, 2007.

1. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Looking at a 2006 Navigator but don't want to collect clippings all summer. On the 07's they have a "fill reduction system" that I believe allows a third of the clippings into the catcher and mulches the rest but on the 06 it's just a mulch plate. Anyone have any experience with the mulch kit??? :confused:

Thanx Nav. owners for the help!

2. Green Side Lawn Care

Green Side Lawn Care LawnSite Member

i got a 2007 model and i tried the mulch kit and the fill reduction system and neither work in thick wet grass it just clogs up and also with the mulch and fill reduction system when going along sidewalks and stuff it blows out alot of grass from under the deck. so we had to take the fill reduction system off.

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the fill reduction kit will fit an 06 model. There is nothing different about the machines as far as the deck goes.

The straight up mulching kit involves putting in a baffle underneath and changing the blades.

The fill reduction kit is a little different.

Neither is designed to work well in wet grass. Nature of the beast.

As far as blow out goes under normal conditions, it's nothing more than you'd see from any other mower. After all, it's not vacuuming anything UP with these accessories bolted on, it's meant to blow the stuff back into the lawn so if you are near a sidewalk, that's where it goes.

That's why god invented hand blowers.

4. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I'll look into the fill reduction kit rather than the full mulch plate. anyone know the percentage of collected to mulch clippings with this system?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The fill reduction kit reduces the bagged clippings by a whopping 70%.
    http://exmark.com/navigator.htm
    Thanks,
    Brian

6. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

Brian,
    So what's the difference in price and do ya need mulching blades with the fill reduction kit & are they part of the kit?? :confused: :dizzy: :confused:

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,
    Part # 109-5458 is for the Fill Reduction Kit that can be added on before serial #670,000. It lists for around $60.00 and does not need mulch blades. It basically consists of 2 baffles and the hardware to hold the kit in place.

After 670,000 (model year 2007) The Fill Reduction System is now standard on Navigator® making it the most versatile cutting deck available. It gives operators the flexibility to collect 100% of grass and debris, quickly switch to a mulching application, and reduce time and money spent disposing of collected grass.

Thanks,
    Brian