1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nc Grass Seed Murphy Etc.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by flyingarbo, Sep 19, 2005.

1. flyingarbo

flyingarbo LawnSite Member

I'm taking a break from tilling my yard. New construction lot. I'm trying to determine which brand of seed to use. I'd think I've decided on a mixture of KBG & Tall Fescue. I've been reading a publication by the NC Coop. Ext. Svc. and they have recommendations for this area in a table of "cultiva" with names such as...
    Tall fescue: Tomahawk, Rebel 3D, Lancer, etc.
    KBG: Parade, Blacksburg, Classic, etc.

Are these just seed types or brand names, because I can't find brands such as these?
    I guess my question is what brand would be best that is available for purchase in this area? Murphy Elite, Palmer, or something else? Thanks for any advice you can recommend.
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Most of those names are seed names and can be bought as a mono seed or as a blend in a seed mix. When you say what seed would work best in your are, the peidmont of NC is a pretty big area, so be a little more specific as to what your area really is. ex, Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc.

The best place to compare seeds for your area is, http://www.ntep.org/data/tf01/tf01_05-8/tf01nc104t.txt

This is the test data from the National Turf Evaluation Program for the Raleigh NC test site.
  3. flyingarbo

flyingarbo LawnSite Member

I'm in Mocksville, NC...near Winston-Salem. Yeah I guess maybe I'm in over my head when trying to pick a cultivar...What about this Scott's Pure Premium Heat-Tolerant Blue? When you say you can by them mono or in a blend. Where? Is there a specialty seed store? Thank's for the help.
  4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

nevrheard of that piticular seed but its diffrent everywhere you go. murphy...i used to date a girl that was from there...