1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

NC Irrigation Licensing Info

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the site, active as of yesterday as I understand.
    http://nciclb.org/

Pretty in depth application process,
    I know Texas has a pretty hardcore licensing requirement, how about other states? If you looked at the applications, how do they compare to your states?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

3. Tony Clifton

Is there any application process to go through before being issued a license, or do you just buy a license?
    Our backflow regs seem fairly stringent as well - can't install a backflow unless you are a licensed plumber, can't become a licensed plumber without x# of years of experience working for a plumber.
    Oh, but we can get the certification required to test the backflows for the annual testing that is required.

4. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking over the application and the Grandfathered section caught my eye. The requirements to be grandfathered seem rather broad- 10 years of experience with references. Does anyone else think the grandfather rules are too lenient? Any trunk slammer can pencil whip their way through this and technically qualify.

5. Tony Clifton

I agree, the grandfather clauses are really frustrating with the exception of the CIC and CLID. The 10 yr deal is pure BS, however, I am pretty confident that if you haven't legitimately been in business 10 yrs it will be tricky to be grandfathered, I know someone that has been in biz 9 yr and plenty of other experience and it didnt fly with the board.

6. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I think people may get tripped up if they actually check references.

Also think that unless it's clear-cut, everyone should have to take a minimal test to prove they know what say they do. Wish they'd do that here.

7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Dear Abby,
    Does a 10 year business license history qualify. For example, I have had 12 years in the lawn maintenance biz which included minor irrigation work for 10. Are they going to call references and ask if you did irriagtion work 10 years ago? I can't remember what I did last week, let alone jobs I did 10 years ago.
    Thanks,
    Utterly confused in VA

8. fire&rain

fire&rain LawnSite Member

My advice to anyone who thinks they qualify under the grandfathering provisions of the law.......Apply and provide as much information as you can. I can assure you the most difficult and scrutinized grandfathering is going to be the 10 year. As far as the plumbers and landscape contractors go, that is all about having a good PAC.

Apply early, dont wait to get all of your information/references/etc to send in the application. The board will tell what they are waiting for if you call them. The earlier you get your application in, the more time to react if more information is needed (or if not accepted, the more time to get the test in).

The state test is scheduled for May 22, 2009 in Raleigh (12-4 pm). I believe the CIA is giving/sponsoring the CIC class on May 20-21.

Stan, get the application in, get your customer references/confidential references/etc in (seperately) and see what else the board tells you they need, if anything.

Good Luck.

9. fire&rain

fire&rain LawnSite Member

Just an FYI, the board has a very good management company. They can answer the vast majority of your questions quickly. If you have a question, call them.

If you still need information, feel free to contact me (I am very familiar with the process).

Charlie Nieman
    252-202-4532
    charlie@fireandrainirrigation.com

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

since you seem to know more about this than most what should we expect in way of continuing ed... between my two pesticide licenses, ICPI stuff and life in general I'm getting tired of meeting w/ the extension service