NE Hardscapers: If Techo is the "best" . . .who is second?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Paver Gangster, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

I've been hearing over and over again that Techo Bloc is hard to beat in terms of quality, and my experience is they do make a nice product.

Who would you say is second in the Northeast US? OR . . .is better?

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

For pavers I'd say: First place would be Techo. Good selection in size and colors. Second place would be a toss-up between Belgard & Ideal. For Wall Systems, Techo again, then Belgard and Ideal taking third spot only because their tolerances suck.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

See, I won't go so far to say Techo "is the best".

They have pavers with super high density ratings. Ok, so what? We're going on 15 years of installing pavers, prior to Techo's existance in MD - we really never had issues with the other brands arising from lack of density.

Their colors? Drab.

No broken pavers on pallets? Never been an issue with the other brands that do have broken pavers. All our jobs entail cutting and mitering, even the broken pavers don't go to waste.

I'd say that in a normal economy 75% of what we install are Techo Pavers. Yes, they have a good product. And yes I am a big fan and loyal supporter of Techo. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Charlie the owner. Paver Pete is a great guy, and Big Joe is super also. But I won't say they are "the best".

Belgard is Good.

And we like Nicolock. Sure they do have some flaws, have some room for improvement, but the flaws are not show stoppers. This year we have installed alotta Nicolock. Nicolock has a wall system 'Mini Colonial'. Mini Colonial non-tumbled is 9 bucks / SF. Looks nearly identical to Techo's Mini-Creta - which is around 15 bucks / SF.

But now when I hear "wall" I don't think of the fancy block (mini-creta, Celtik, Mini-Colonial). Those are planters. When I hear wall - I think of a true SRW. In which I would say Cornerstone is my block of preference. Many folks here have never used Cornerstone. A few have. And I'd bet for those that have/do use Cornerstone will agree with me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Techo then Unilock cuz that's what's round here and readily available!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Techo then Ideal. Never was a fan of Nico the colors look swirlly not blended.

6. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

dare i say cambridge? they are decent pavers tolerance is a little to relaxed no pockets in the face like i have seen with belgard. not saying they are top ranking but they are a good paver

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

X2 We install a lot of cambridge and have been very happy with their product. Very reasonable and the amortec seems to be the real deal. We do a good amount of techo and unilock too but probably 75% cambridge