NE LCO's still mowing every week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the leaves are really starting to fall now (especially after the wind today), I'm debating wether or not I should continue mowing and blowing every week, or start with blowing every week and mowing and blowing every other week. The lawns aren't really growing much (maybe 1-1 1/2") each week, I'm thinking they don't really need to be mown every week anymore. What are you guys doing?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

One more full week of mowing (with Gators as well) and then just cleanups.

3. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I only mowing maybe 30% weekly, most are every 2 weeks now. It really isn't growing anymore. With the temps going in the 30's at night all next week it will really stop the growth, some properties that were cut last week look like they were cut today. I started doing leaves last week that had alot, next week I'll probably shift more towards leaves, because todays 40mph winds are making a mess. I'm guessing maybe 1-3 more of cuts for most people, it seems like the last 2 weeks it really slowed down.

4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am done mowing, gunna start clean ups in another week once they are all down.

5. rodfather

You're gonna wish you hadn't waited till they were all down...we do them in stages.

6. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not that bad, I have been picking up a majority of them on the lawns, we just gutta go around and clean out the bushes and edges of the properties. Did it the same way last week and it worked out good.

7. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I do them the same way. My first round went well.

8. rodfather

I find myself educating new customers every year when they say, "I'll let ya know when they have all dropped and are down". My response? "Don't bother, you've waited way too long and you won't like the extra cost it is now going to be".

9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Im still mowing full bore. But the grass seems to be slowing down. I usually start pulling back in the first 2 weeks of November. Then its leaf clean starting in December.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

we are mowing about 80% of the routes weekly still, after next week it will be every other/as needed. we'll start full bore with the leaves in November.