"Nearness" Pet Peeve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 26, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Is it common practice for all contractors to butt sprinklers right up against sidewalks, building foundations, fences and other unmovable structures? Do they believe that water won't move at all or stoloniferous grasses won't get water from other areas of their growth and unless the sprinkler is right up against an obstruction that area won't get watered and the grass will die? :rolleyes:

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

It is a bizarre practice that seems to be the norm for a lot of installers around here. I've seen some in so tight to the foundations, that there is constant pressure actually being exerted on the sprinkler. And of course it's pvc all the way there and nothing can give at all. I was at one last week that had four of these. They were in so tight that the only thing I guess they could find to use were Hunter PS's.

3. PurpHaze

I'm beginning to wonder if it's directly related to the quality of their employees and subsequent training. :confused:

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A steel-bladed edger destroying the sprinkler heads would help cure the installer of bad habits.

5. PurpHaze

IF... you could get them back out. :dizzy:

6. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! Around here there are some companies that get the cookie cutter home contracts. They're in and out quickly - never to return. They'll leave the broken head liabilities up to the poor guy with the edger.

I had an interesting situation where the city repaved a street with new asphalt that actually covered part of a lateral line that I had to work on. "Well this is fine and dandy!" I remember scratching my head, but fortunately with some difficulty I was able to excavate under the asphalt and work on things - suffering only from a few skinned up knuckles. Happens all the time, eh?

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We put our heads 2" from concete. I hate it too.

8. We went today to a Fairfield Inn Hotel and changed out over 40 Rain Bird surpops with 1804 sams and over 20 Maxi paws with PGP's and still have another 25 surpops that are getting replaced and another 15 maxipaws. 95% of the sprayheads had the tops chopped off or the edger had destroyed the heads. We moved them over about another 2" from the curbing.

9. PurpHaze

Too bad the idiot installers can't be backcharged for this. This is totally unacceptable. :dizzy: