Necessary Evil - $73

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lotsagrass, Feb 14, 2011.

1. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty much $20 per item for my eXmark Lazer Z...
    1 - Hydro filter
    1- Inner air filter
    1 -Outer air filter

I normally wouldn't need to change the inner air filter or the hydro filter since I only put about 75 hours on the machine per season...but since this unit sat for nearly 3 years at a dealer before I bought it as a new leftover (never used), I wanted to change the hydro oil/filter and the inner air filter.

Getting all ready for spring. I think the first time I mowed to clean up the yard a little last year was mid March :)

2. lotsagrass

Well crap, the goober gave me the wrong hydro filter even though I gave him the model number of my machine. He didn't even look it up...just reached back and grabbed one. The one he gave me is way too big. Gotta go back tomorrow and exchange it.

3. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea! I hate when they do that! :rolleyes:

4. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm I found these for my Gravely
    air filter for 10.95
    oil filter for 5.45
    hydro filter for 9.95
    all for 7.99 shipping.

find you part numbers, and go online

5. lotsagrass

I can and do get Wix oil filters at the auto parts store. Love those. I couldn't find a reasonable price on the canister air filters though...and I'm still trying to find a Wix filter that matches the specs of the eXmark hydro filter (same micron, etc). By the time I paid shipping, the local prices for those were the same or more, online.

For example:
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/commercial_exmark_filters.cfm

The air filters (good quality) are still like $16/$17 per and the hydro filter is still around $17. Locally, I can get each item for around $20.

6. Mr. Fixer Upper

Mr. Fixer Upper LawnSite Member

Don't forget that supporting your local dealer helps make sure he is there if you REALLY need them.

7. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yeah I agree but that $22.95 for a Kawasaki oil filter kinda stung yesterday. When I know there has got to be another brand that will work and probably better for $8 or less.:confused:
    But filters and oil are much cheaper than engines

If at all possible i look up the part numbers before i go in and print em out with a schematic and hand it to them ASKING if it will help

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  8. Mr. Fixer Upper

Mr. Fixer Upper LawnSite Member

Absolutely. Those stealerships can wow you with their pricing and I refuse to be gauged too. If it's a few bucks here and there it's one thing but the 2X price which really means 3X cost is hard to swallow.