Neck Shade from Gemplers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Mar 11, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Does anyone here use this particular brand and have any complaints about it?
    I'm looking for something not rigid and something that doesn't strap around the neck.
    This one from the gemplers catalog looks to be made from cotton material, loose and airy and light feeling.
    These soft cotton neck shades are fitted for use with a baseball cap. Guys using these, do you like them?
    And finally, can anyone confirm that wearing a ballcap does cause baldness? Because I have all my hair right now and don't want to lose it. :laugh:

If I'm buying these, I'm going to buy 10 and don't want to waste my money.

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know what is Gemplers but my wife bought me a "SPF" hat made out of "solarweave", it is tan colored with a dark blue underside on the 3 1/2" bill, hat is very light on your head and when the flap that is used to protect your neck and tops of ears used you immediately feel relief from the sun on your neck. mine is kinda beat up as I have had it for six years (might have to order another one sometime).. Baldness ?? I know I am a lot thinner on top than I was six years ago but I do not believe the hat was the culprit.

3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a baseball type hat all the time, except mowing. I use one of those Aussie type hats with a brim all around. Sure keeps the hot sun off the neck and ears. As for going bald it's arace between that and going gray.
  4. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Mississippi so I have to have a "red neck" to fit in.
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

LOL ..... good one, Lawn Doctor!
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya beat me to the post. I was thinking the same thing. Red Necks are considered stylish here, too.
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know about the neck thingys, but I always thought that baseball caps would cause baldness. Well, as I do this work more, if I don,t wear a cap and the sun is on me all day when I get home, my scalp is burnt red. Now I know that is not good. So I am wearing a cap to stop the sun from burning my scalp. Also my hair is pretty thick too.
  8. cherylyn1129

cherylyn1129 LawnSite Member

There is a company that makes a neck cover that attaches directly to your baseball hats with velcro. Some guys complain about the look of it, but it's better than the red-neck tan line.
  9. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

Wearing a hat does not cause baldness.....

....but Baldness does cause the wearing of hats!
  10. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

Wore mine last 2 years.Love them!Original,still like new.Save your money,don't buy what you don't need.SUPER light.Dries right on your head!I wear hat with safety glasses and peltors.Rock n roll!