1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Nedd help with 3.5 HP Briggs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fordmstng66, Sep 1, 2009.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have an older Kee commercial edger with a Briggs 3.5HP motor. I was using it, and it was running fine, then just shut of, and now it will not start. I put new plug in, removed carb, and cleaned it, and still would not start. I then purchased new gaskets, and diaphragm, put it back together, drained old gas put new gas in, and still same problem. It has spark, is there anything i may be missing. The edger is about 10 years old, but does not really see a lot of use, it has been used for my moms yard, and with in the last 4 years my yard. Any help would be great

thanks in advance

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

The flwheel wheel key comes to mind first of all. If you spray a little carb cleaner into the carb and pull the rope does it pop or backfire ? Have also seen the keeper come loose on one of the valve stems. Check compression before you pull the starter housing off. Since this engine is that old I figure it is not an OHC engine. Maybe these suggestions will help you narrow it down. If neither one are your problem....After all,this is just my "half-fast" opinion. good luck.

3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

fixDiss

I have not sprayed any carb cleaner in, but have tried starting fluid (hate using it) and even sprayed a mist of gas in it, it doesn't seem to backfire, but it really seems like it is not sparking, but i know it has spark. It does not backfire, just throws whatever i spray in right back out, thanks i will try the cleaner, and also check compression