1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a 33"...this time I want "cheap"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I need a 33" for some properties my Exmark Z is just toomuch mower on. I want to spend as little as possible...(yes I now we get what we pay for but this mower will not get alot of hours on it) ...prefer self propelled if possible...any ideas on what I should look at...thanks
  2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Its not a 33 but sears and walmart sell 26 inch cheapos.
  3. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

What about the Troy-bilt or Cub 33". They are around $1500 I think.
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I did take a quick look at the troybilt...and yes its $1500...the handles and hardware looked a bit flimsy...even for a homeowner model...dont know much about their reputation(troybilt)...but that mower might be one of the few options I have.
  5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We have the 33" Cub Cadet with 8.5hp Briggs. It side discharges and mulchs great. It can't take very much of a slope going across but up and down on slopes it works great. There's two cracks in the deck we welded but one is from hittin a pipe which we also broke a spindel when I hit it. Overall its a great mower and can lay down some nice stripes. I would suggest you get one if your not using it alot ours is 4 years old, 2 years it was used full time doing 60 accounts and is now a backup and used to cut our lawn. Oh yea i forgot mention its a b*tch to turn compared to regular walks because you have no breaks but it shouldn't be a diference to you since your not using another walkbehind.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older Troy built 33 mulch deck only, that I use on some small tight props. I think it's great and always plan to keep one of these around. It is far more manuverable than my 32" Snapper on small areas. The tranny has differential slip, so it zero turns. It is manual turning however, but that's not a problem on small lots. It cuts great and the deck is easy to adjust, one crank in the back.
  7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I haven't seen the cub that was mentioned, but the troy-built is not that bad. But, if you were going to spend 1500, why not get a 32" toro or exmark. I just got a toro for 1900.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

yeah , Why not just get a good 32" commercial walk behind or hump it with a 21"er....
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Check out the Stealth. They offer two different m,odels that are 33" Hydros and come with either like a 8 hp or 10 hp engine. I see a lot of them on trailers around here.
  10. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I have 33'' cub 9HP,works great for 1/3 rule. But with grass growing 1'' a day becuse of rain 1st gear not slow enough for high grass. demo in wet,high grass.