Need a 48" ztr that won't scalp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by alexschultz1, Jul 3, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I don't think they make a 48 for the 700 series, you need to go 600series… its a smaller frame… BUT YES… a 48" Grasshopper is DA MAN for what he wants.

What nuts?

DEEZ Nuts. Want to see em?

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

TP how was your 4th of July? Hit the booze much lol?

3. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Amazone Profihopper 4WDi, it is 4x4 zero turn flail collector, which can mulch also. Have one past three years, unparalleled to anything we have had before for finish and build quality. It also cuts and scarifies in one pass. Expensive but well worth the money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TPendagast

Male

I don't drink.

5. TPendagast

Male

so he doesn't want to spend the money on a walker…so something MORE expensive is worth mentioning?:laugh:

6. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Yes. Because it's awesome that's why.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't blame him for not wanting a walker. they cut very well but they are high maintenance machines which is why i'll never own one. i used them when i worked for a company when i was in college.

...anyways have you tried mowing at 2" on bermuda? i know it's only slightly higher but you wouldn't believe how much of a difference it will make as far as scalping goes.....and the customer will not even notice it's slightly higher since it's only an extra 1/4".

i have one bermuda i mow at 2 1/4" regularly and i'll even go up to 2 1/2" if it gets dry and super hot in july/august. plenty of rain this year so i'm staying at 2 1/4" so far. :laugh:

i use a john deere z920a ztr 54" deck and i don't have scalping issues as long as i follow the contour of the yard.

also you may already know this but don't ever go by the markings of the deck height on the mower. most times they are set 1/2" lower than what it says when you buy it. so if you are mowing at 1.75" you are really mowing at 1.25" if you measure from the blades to the ground.

i was doing that when i first got my mower. i had it set at 2" and it was mowing 1 1/2". i adjusted it so now the dial on 2" mows at 2".

if your mowers have this issue you can just raise it up to a higher setting to offset this.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. TPendagast

Male

so it is a ventrac, but I haven't mortgaged the farm to get one yet!

9. southernturfpros

southernturfpros LawnSite Member

They are pretty sweet. Buddy of my sells them around here. 29k is pretty steep for just the tractor and mower deck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Senior Member

Holy crap! I know they're supposed to be great but that's almost the same price I paid for my 50hp 4wd tractor with a cab and a/c last summer.

Of course, my tractor would fall over on its side on some of the hills the Ventrac will traverse.