Need a 9 ton Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DirtyWorks, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. DirtyWorks

    DirtyWorks LawnSite Member
    Posts: 32

    Looking for a small compact excavator (under 20K lbs). Would welcome any and all ideas and previous experiences. kinda leaning toward Komatsu pc78 with the Kubota 080 in second place and the Cat 307sb in third. The cat seems a little overpriced. I will be using it to run a mulching head 75% of the time and landclearing general work for the other 25% i think. The hydraulics need to flow as close to 30gpm at the stick as possible and still have hydraulics for the thumb. Service is a priority as well as strength. Well what do yall think?
     
  2. Dirt Digger2

    Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Posts: 2,396

    i dont have experience in anything that small but Volvo makes a great machine, also Link Belt is gaining a lot of reputation for being strong and quality built...then you also have your Takeuchi....if dealer service is of the upmost importance, what dealers do you have nearest to you?
     
  3. RockSet N' Grade

    RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,454

    I primarily run a 9 ton machine, but the question to start with is who offers good support that you can count on? I run a Gehl and that is primarily because I get good support. Go to the website offered by Case and you can compare specs to all the machines in any chosen class........think it is www.casece.com
     
  4. AWJ Services

    AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga
    Posts: 4,276

    They all 3 are quality machines.

    I lilke Komatsu excavators and that machine has excellent aux hyd.
    They have great controls and are very popular.
     
  5. bobcat_ron

    bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 10,111

    Komatsu is on top of the heap with either the Offset Parallel boom or standard boom, Cat's 307/308's are really nice, Deere/Hitachi's 75-80's are excellent for fuel economy and power, Link Belts are a little on the weak side at the base of the sticks where the bucket pins are, and the Cabs need major improvements. I found Volvo's to be really nice, but they need to get their engines in the back to give them better balance and lifting power.
     
  6. Dirt Digger2

    Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA
    Posts: 2,396

    the advantage i guess with the Volvo is you get true ZTS with the side mount engine
     
  7. ksss

    ksss LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 7,129

    The TK TB180, CASE CX80, and the Kobelco 80 are some of my favorites these are all about 17K machines.
     
  8. AWJ Services

    AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga
    Posts: 4,276

    The Aux GPM is the achilles heel for machines in this size.
    30 gpm is alot.
     
  9. DirtyWorks

    DirtyWorks LawnSite Member
    Posts: 32

    Yes the target gpm of 30 is a tough part. i know that a few guys run the kubota and they have @26. Komatsu says 32, Cat just says 17 but then there is a (x2) next to it in the brochure. I just bought the new 272C series skid and Cat has been great with my little 257 also. One of the problems I am having with Cat is the 308/307 falls between the rental store and the big store. Too small for the big boys (not much commision I guess) and too big for the skid guys. The salesman I did get through to says he has been checking but can't get a definate answer on the Aux flow at the stick.

    Also Bobcat 442 is starting to look good too. says it will lift 3300 lbs at full extension at ground level. almost double everybody else. it is also available with a extendable boom kinda like a extend a ho. Anything bad about any of these? Komatsu's 3 year/3000hr is also nice.

    Yanmar is OUT service SUX. no mechanics and they change every few weeks.No tak dealers I know of. JD never cares around here unless its 300K or better, Case and Kobelco dosent have good flow from what i've read.
    Thanks for helping guys!
     
  10. AWJ Services

    AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga
    Posts: 4,276

    No Bobcat love from me.

    Komatsu makes a good machine.


    I would demo the machine with the head before I purcahsed or have a written performance gurantee before buying.
     

Share This Page