1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need a bigger mower?dixon wb?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by d.m.d., Sep 15, 2006.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i am looking for a 36 walk behind.right now im cutting 6 residential lawns and im telling ya the little 21 inch mower is killing me.so ive been looking at the walk behinds and its like buying a new car(sticker shock).i looked at a 36 dixon hydro today for 2800 but it looks like a bradley with a blue paint job.the price is cheap enough but i did a search on bradleys and this is what i found.....either you hatem or you lovem.by the way this ones a hydro with a kohler 15. anybody use one of these???
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, bradley, redhawk, dixon walkabout... all the same mower, different colors. If you are not doing that many lawns and don't change cut heights often I'm sure it would be fine.

Don't forget, Dixon is now owned by Husquvarna. I'm seriously doubting that Husky is going to continue having chinese mowers painted blue and selling them as Dixons since Husky has it's own line of commercial WB's.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you get what you pay for....
    dixons are homeowner models.
    they are about like mtd and the others....

now that you have had "sticker shock" you can relate why people should charge more money....

our 3 mowers run $7-8K and are replaced every 5-6 years...
  4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Go get yourself an Exmark Turf Tracer 36 - Hydro driven unit. They're a little costly at $4,599.00, but they will last for years so long as you take care of them.

We own two of them in place of having to use 21" mowers all day.

I know where you're coming from by using 21" mowers to do all of your work. I've been there. "Many times in this business, you've gotta walk before you can ride."
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

for 6 lawns get a Toro T bar, belt drive for $2400.....and forget it.......get mower simple to use and fix, and it will last forever.....

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48" turf tracer and I like it. I'm sure the smaller deck is just as good of a mower.

If you want something a bit cheaper but want to keep commercial quailty, look at the quick 36 line of mowers.
  7. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

hey i went back to look at the dixon walk about and talked my self out of it.i then went to the ferris dealer.heres what i found out...i ran a belt drive 36 it was nice until you had to back up.i ran a used bunton dual hydro and it wanted to creep a little but wasnt bad it handled fairly good.then i ran a older but new 36 ferris single hydro (the one with the disc brakes on each side)the dealer said its the old style hydro its kinda handles like a belt but has no gears just instant fwd and reverse.i guess the are ok i really liked it........
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They look like the landscaper supply mowers:cry:
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like good advise....or get a used Scag or exmark. The belt drive Lesco seems to be a good unit. Backing up the belt drive isn't easy but in the end it is a lot better than using a 21". I would stay away from the single drive hydro units they don't work well on slopes/ditches.