1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by midstroke, Apr 23, 2010.

1. midstroke

midstroke LawnSite Member

Walkbehind
    John deere gs30 36"
    Kolher command pro 13 cv13t spec 21520

Problem changed a totally rusted out muffler, put on new fuel line, and took bowl off carb and shot float with carb cleaner. Got it all back together and now it wont start. Backfired a few times through exhaust and pops out of carb sometimes. Most likely carb issue i would guess barely touched it though. Any help would be great thanks steve.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the plug, it's probably flooded with the cleaner.
    If the plug is dry, try a shot of starting fluid.

See what happens.

3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure the needle valve stayed in place properly, or was reinstalled properly when you removed the bowl? Something I have--don't remember what--will let the needle drop out when carb bowl is removed!

4. midstroke

Ok update
    cleaned carb again, when i try to pull start the mower this is what happens. (my arm gets tired) about every third pull with choke on it will act like its starting for about two seconds. Sounds weak like it just dont have enough to start. After about two seconds it will backfire through exhaust pop from carb then just die off. Could it be timing somehow all i did was new exhaust,fuel lines, and carb clean. Can order a new carb relatively cheap. Dont want to order carb until i am more sure. thnks steve

5. Lawn N Order

Lawn N Order LawnSite Member

Does it have a fuel pump. Did all the lines get hooked back up to the pump properly?

6. Edward Hunter Yard Works

Edward Hunter Yard Works LawnSite Member

Not to be a smart ass, but, sometimes you just get so frustrated that you overlook the obvious, and most simple. Check for fuel on/off, power, prime, choke, start, check the plug for fire. Is the plug fouled? Maybe it just needs some "go-fast" ether to get it going. Check the air filter. It happens to all of us at times.

7. midstroke

Took one line off at a time and replaced. It has a fuel pump was thinkin about taking it apart and clean it out.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, it's a snap crackle pop.

Did you get the gasket between carb and intake back in place?

Could be it's got an air leak if that somehow got missplaced,
    or maybe it just needs a new gasket too, did the old one crack?

How about the linkages, did they get put back correctly?
    When you put it on choke, see if you can remove the air filter and
    visually see if that choke plate is closing.

What was it doing before you started the repair, was it running at all before?

9. midstroke

running ok before. Linkages are good to go choke plate is opening and closing. The gasket though i will be picking one up monday.

10. captsomer

captsomer LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device