Need a Body?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FS Lawn, Nov 26, 2003.

1. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I am looking at buying a Isuzu NPR and putting a box body on it like the "Super Lawn Trucks ". They are way too expensive. I am trying to fined some way to do the ramp to get the mower into the truck , I know there is a cheaper and better way than the one on the "SLT " they are $7,000.00 just for the ramp. Have any of you seen or know of other options for loading the mower ? Are there any other companies that sell pre-fab ramps that may work ? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated , I know some of you " More Experienced " guys have the answer.:confused:

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Did you mean $7k just for the gate??????
    I could definitely build you one easily and a lot cheaper than 7 grand for sure :eek: but you’d pretty much have to drive up here with it and get a hotel while I build it. We’d only need a half day to do it. But surely you could get a local fab shop to build it and save the travel expense ;) For just a gate I don't see why it would be more than $700.

3. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont u buy a 1 ton box truck with a flip out hydrylic gate

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

THIS is what you want/need.

This is what it looks like in use:

[​IMG]

5. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

workaholic- are you talking about some kind of "Tommy Lift " ?
    Franken- I know I can get the gate built cheeper than the company's gate , do you have any design ideas for it ?
    The other gate on this post seems like alot of work to get it open and shut. And are those large springs on the side of the truck to assist with the movement of the gate?

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

A setup like Victor has would be awesome for you. In the past week I have demoed an NPR with a 16 foot box and a Mitsubishi Fuso FE with a 16 foot box. I had the NPR for 3 1/2 days, and I currently have the Mitsu for 2 days. As it looks right now, we are going to buy the Isuzu. This will be for the publishing company that I work for. The Isuzu has so much more power than the Mitsu has, plus it seems to be more stable chassis-wise with a load on it - much less body roll and lean. I also think the visibility out of the NPR is better, because it has slightly bigger side windows and windsheild. The Mitsu does have a nicer interior with a better grade of materials. As far as price goes, there is about $200 difference with the NPR being the cheapest. This is a big advantage in favor of the NPR because it is a 2004 and the Mitsu is a leftover 2003. Once the Mitsu is driven off the lot, it would be worth much less because it would be considered one year old. The boss is supposed to make his decision by friday, so I hope to have a new NPR at work next week. He also liked the Isuzu better. Good luck with your purchase

7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Frank,
    I tried to find a picture I had of a Lowes rental truck that had 2 built-in ramps underneath the bed of the Isuzu. Like the Uhaul truck ramp that slides out from underneath of the center of the truck, this one had two seperate aluminum ramps that stored away underneath the body. I will keep searching my files for it and post it when I get it. I have an Isuzu cabover box as well and love it! I have a tow hitch on it and trailer a 16 footer with 2 Z's without a problem. Though some days it would be nice to have the option to ramp some equipment up in there.

Mike

8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Frank,
    I found the picture. Here it is.

Mike

lowes.jpg

9. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

MIke- That is what I was talking about , that would be so much easier that the bigger ramp. I woul like the ramp to be one piece and wider . I wounder if it is heavy to pull out/put up ? Thanks for the help and if you find something else please email me with it.
    pottstim- thanks for the post , I too like the Isuzu and think it would be the better truc overall. I have asked around and done some research and it seem that everyone likes the Isuzu......