Need a ch20s Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grasscape Inc, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

My ch20s (Horizontal 20HP) needs replaced. I refuse to pay $1500 for one when I see the new verticals on ebay all day for $650.
    Any idea where I can get one of these for a reasonable price?
    (shouldn't have to replace it at all)

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

You could buy my Bunton, take the engin off, and then sell the rest for parts.

4. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

If you could adapt and use a vertical CH20 , you could buy my TurfRanger and use it. I am selling it soon, since it will need a new hydro soon.:D :D :D :D Just an idea to help us both.!!

5. MIMAINTAINCE

MIMAINTAINCE LawnSite Member

TLS was right on. Check smallenginewarehouse.com Maybe it will be a good deal. I looked once and they werent to bad on some things

6. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

It's for a F680 JD Ztrack....No can do the vertical..already looked into it..Need help!! $1500 is too much!!

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year when I wanted a new Kohler vertical motor I looked on EBAY and all I found was horizontals.

Lucky it was winter and my Kohler 25 was still running at 1000 hours. Finally I found a guy thru ebay who was in the business of parting out sears/craftsman...yes craftsman stuff damaged in shipping.

I bought 3 brand new Kohler 27 air cooled engines with electric start for $600 each. I installed 2 and still have a brand new spare.

The only catch was the wiring was for craftsman (easy fix) and the crankshaft was 1.375" too long (easy cut).

You may want to go on EBAY and email seller sel-lo, his name is Rod Wilson, tell him Ken from Virginia sent you. I think all his stuff is usually vertical shaft, but he may have what you need.

KB

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

The best price I could find for this engine was $1364.99. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: albemarle, please dont tell me you were replacing a motor after a 1000 hours, hope not if so maybe look into better maintenance, have a cv22 appraoching 3000 hours. tony

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just happened to see a great deal on brand new Kohler 27 bolt-in swaps. I felt my Kohler 25 motors were tired, but they was like that since new, trying to push a 60" deck on one machine and a 72" deck on the other.

BTW the Kohler 27 motors gave my mowers a HUGE boost, the extra 2 H.P. is for real and then some. Much better low-mid range, and can engage 72" blades at idle without stalling.

KB