Lawn Care Forum banner

need a comfortable mower, suggestions?

17K views 97 replies 26 participants last post by  Sonnie Parker 
#1 ·
man... my knees, back, neck, and feet are getting worn out. Ive been shopping around for a quality ztr, but it seems like something to absorb the shock from bumps will be the best selling point.

#6 ·
Ferris hands down. theres a lot of brands that try their best at what Ferris has, but sense they have the patent on putting coil shocks as active suspension, nobody can come close to what Ferris has on their 2000Z / 3100Zs . Gravely's air ride , scags cheeta suspension platform, dixie's springer forks, huslters flex forks, and bad boy's rubber blocks are all improvements on whats out there on the market. But untill the patent runs out on active suspension, Ferris owns the game

#7 ·
I recently bought a John Deere Z920R ... I MORE RECENTLY (6 weeks & 2 days ago)had some MAJOR back surgery, including 5X fused vertebra and 12 cages installed ... last week, I took delivery on a ZTR PUFFER air suspension seat.

Today, I got out and tried it for the first real test ride ... so far, so GREAT. I can't compare it to any of the other units mentioned here, but I can say, it has made a tremendous difference in the ride ... I hit some pretty significant holes that made me cringe when I saw the front wheels hit them ... the seat did it's job and I barely felt them.

This thing was pretty simple/easy to install ... the downside is that it raises you several inches ... I was a bit too apprehensive about trying to negotiate a hill out front, so I stopped short of attempting that ... maybe in another week or two when I heal a bit more. Other than feeling a little uneasy on a hillside, the extra height actually feels pretty nice ... hard to describe, just a nice dimensional arrangement for my body size & weight.

#9 · (Edited)
Ferris hands down. theres a lot of brands that try their best at what Ferris has, but sense they have the patent on putting coil shocks as active suspension, nobody can come close to what Ferris has on their 2000Z / 3100Zs . Gravely's air ride , scags cheeta suspension platform, dixie's springer forks, huslters flex forks, and bad boy's rubber blocks are all improvements on whats out there on the market. But untill the patent runs out on active suspension, Ferris owns the game
I've never owned a Ferris but I've seen them in action and I'd bet for sure that this is true. I have a new BadBoy and it does ride great. I woulda done better with the upgraded seat but I will say this, it cost half as much as a Ferris.

#11 ·
I think I would retire from lawn care if I were you. Maybe hire someone to do the work. Nothing is worth the risk of doing further damage to your back.

I recently bought a John Deere Z920R ... I MORE RECENTLY (6 weeks & 2 days ago)had some MAJOR back surgery, including 5X fused vertebra and 12 cages installed ... last week, I took delivery on a ZTR PUFFER air suspension seat.

Today, I got out and tried it for the first real test ride ... so far, so GREAT. I can't compare it to any of the other units mentioned here, but I can say, it has made a tremendous difference in the ride ... I hit some pretty significant holes that made me cringe when I saw the front wheels hit them ... the seat did it's job and I barely felt them.

This thing was pretty simple/easy to install ... the downside is that it raises you several inches ... I was a bit too apprehensive about trying to negotiate a hill out front, so I stopped short of attempting that ... maybe in another week or two when I heal a bit more. Other than feeling a little uneasy on a hillside, the extra height actually feels pretty nice ... hard to describe, just a nice dimensional arrangement for my body size & weight.

#13 ·
Bad Boy has came a long way from 5-6 years ago. I've talked to several dealers at my dealer meetings and its a love/hate relationship between Bad boy and their dealers. Either they love them and sell the mess out of them, or they hate them and dropped them. Since last year they got a better warranty, 2 years parts & labor. But they need more of a 4 year/ 500hr warranty like ferris or 5 year/500hr that bobcat provides. I sell to more homeowners and they never put more than 60-70hrs / year on a mower. So bad boy's would only benefit a all day every day commercial cutter. They are cheaply priced, but the dealer in my area makes it easy for me to sale against them. Ferris is making great price points this year like bad boy as far as their 2100Z models. The one I sale the most against the Bad Boy is the Ferris 700Z 28hp Vangaurd / 61'' for $7200 vs the Bad Boy outlaw 61'' with the 24hp Kawasaki FS for $7300. Apples vs Oranges tho...

#14 ·
Gravely 400 series has the air seat with memory foam, 3 isolated platforms and vibration damped steering control arms. IMO it has the best ride/handling in the industry. Ferris is great as well but has a lot of deck sway and bounce which takes away from the overall handling.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've seen you post about the deck sway before. It makes me wonder what was going on with the unit you tested because every Ferris has tracking bars front and rear to eliminate that. And out of all the units I've sold, I don't have that problem. I mean under force they will get pushed over 1 inch like hitting a curb or tree with it, but to sway back and forth and bounce a lot.....Theres something array there. Whatever dealer must've let that unit slip through their fingers when serviced, Cause I will say I got to go over all my units before the sale. I'll find something that needs attending every once in a while

#15 ·
Yes, they're called employees.
hah, yeah maybe when my business bounces back to 100%. right now im still catching up from 5-6 years ago. i used to run 3 trucks and 5 guys, now im down to me, one guy, and one truck. BUT im actually making around the same lol.

#16 ·
I've seen you post about the deck sway before. It makes me wonder what was going on with the unit you tested because every Ferris has tracking bars front and rear to eliminate that. And out of all the units I've sold, I don't have that problem. I mean under force they will get pushed over 1 inch like hitting a curb or tree with it, but to sway back and forth and bounce a lot.....Theres something array there. Whatever dealer must've let that unit slip through their fingers when serviced, Cause I will say I got to go over all my units before the sale. I'll find something that needs attending every once in a while
We just finished our second demo and this time it was with the 3100. I still have to write my review. But what is going on is the deck is hung with chains mounted on moving arms. A simple test is pushing the deck with your foot and you will see the deck sways about 6" side to side. On side hills and rough property it can be felt. My dealer says its a common complaint. A simple fix would be using control rods to hang the deck like many other companies are doing now. But please dont get me wrong the 3100 is an awesome machine. The only other problem we had was the sensor in the seat was causing no start and engine cut off problems for the lighter guys. I weigh 180 and it happened to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
We just finished our second demo and this time it was with the 3100. I still have to write my review. But what is going on is the deck is hung with chains mounted on moving arms. A simple test is pushing the deck with your foot and you will see the deck sways about 6" side to side. On side hills and rough property it can be felt. My dealer says its a common complaint. A simple fix would be using control rods to hang the deck like many other companies are doing now. But please dont get me wrong the 3100 is an awesome machine. The only other problem we had was the sensor in the seat was causing no start and engine cut off problems for the lighter guys. I weigh 180 and it happened to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just went into my showroom and lowered the deck on two 3100Zs to 2.5'' and I can't get that thing to move side to side not even a inch. So I tried at transport and still couldn't get them to move. I would get with your dealer cause theres something horribly wrong with that machine. The two huge tracking bars on the back of that thing thats mounted to the back of them deck to the frame so that eliminates the problem period. Did you test a 61'' or a 72''? If a 72'' the dealer has to put the deck underneath the machine and get it level and install the tracking bars. If its a 61'' then it's pre-assmebled from Ferris and put in a crate.

#18 ·
I just went into my showroom and lowered the deck on two 3100Zs to 2.5'' and I can't get that thing to move side to side not even a inch. So I tried at transport and still couldn't get them to move. I would get with your dealer cause theres something horribly wrong with that machine. The two huge tracking bars on the back of that thing thats mounted to the back of them deck to the frame so that eliminates the problem period. Did you test a 61'' or a 72''? If a 72'' the dealer has to put the deck underneath the machine and get it level and install the tracking bars. If its a 61'' then it's pre-assmebled from Ferris and put in a crate.
It was a 61" with vanguard 36 hp 2012 model. All of them at the dealer swayed. I saw no track bars conected to the back of the deck. Just the rubber stripe kit.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
This absolutely baffles me. I've sold a lot of 3100Zs the past 3 years and this is one Complaint I've never got. Never noticed. or had any kind of a problem with.... I just emailed Ferris and they will prolly get in touch with you soon....
Awesome thanks. I will also go back next week to recheck the track bars on the back of the deck. I swear I saw none?
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
Dad's got arthritis in his hands and used to have aching muscles from our ZTR. We got a Toro Grandstand and we love it from top to bottom. Love it so much we picked up a Wright Stander X yesterday, and it absorbs even more bumps. It's been proven that with the right absorption that you're able to stand for a longer time. Just our experiences.

#24 ·
I think I would retire from lawn care if I were you. Maybe hire someone to do the work. Nothing is worth the risk of doing further damage to your back.
I really do appreciate your concern & advice, but the Dr's. said this is a structurally corrective procedure which, after fusion and healing are complete is at no risk of any damage. I had 29 degrees of curvature involving 5 vertebra (Scoliosis) ... they put in the pins/rods/cages to straighten and stabilize my lower back. Once the fusion takes place, I should be OK to resume all normal activity.

#25 ·
I really do appreciate your concern & advice, but the Dr's. said this is a structurally corrective procedure which, after fusion and healing are complete is at no risk of any damage. I had 29 degrees of curvature involving 5 vertebra (Scoliosis) ... they put in the pins/rods/cages to straighten and stabilize my lower back. Once the fusion takes place, I should be OK to resume all normal activity.
I bet you were happy to hear that diagnosis:clapping:

#26 ·
Adding to the Ferris debate. Last winter I looked at a 3100 and 2000 series I forget which one. None of them swayed. The dealer was even jumping on the foot platform and the deck its self. I was pushing on it with my feet side to side. No movement. It was like my Deere z950 I had at the time. Any reason that dealer would remove the bars? Or re adjust them?
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.