Need a decent demand letter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

This is all you can do. If he refuses you can take him to court, but you will have to pay the filing fees and then there is no guarantee if you win you will get your money. The judge isn't going to garnish their wages to pay for lawn services.

You probably should have never let your accounts receivable get to the point where you couldn't afford to lose it. You should have stopped service long before that point.

We aren't members of the mafia. You aren't going to go over there and break his legs to get your money. Some guys on this site like to talk a big game about what they would do and how they handle customers. If they really did act that way they wouldn't be in business; they would be in jail. I would like to buy those guys for what they are worth and sell them for what they think they are worth. I would never have to work again.

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

how much do they owe you? If it's enough they wouldn't hear from me, they would hear from my attorney or a collection agency.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Here is one that someone from this site was nice enough to share with me a few years ago. I have had to use it a few times and had great results after sending. Hope it helps.

[Enter Date Here]
    Customer's Name
    Customers Address
    Customers City State And Zip
    This letter will serve as formal notice to you that you are in default of your obligation to repay the
    sum of . The service was provided to you on (List Service Dates Here) (Reference Invoice #’s
    Here)
    This amount has been overdue since (Put Date Here) and you have failed to repay the same
    despite repeated requests for payment by (Company Name Here) LLC
    Unless payment of the above amount is received by us in full within ten (15) days of the date of
    this letter, we will have no alternative but to exercise whatever rights and remedies we have
    under the law to enforce such payment, including but not limited to institution of legal proceedings
    against you to recover the above amount, together with accrued interest and legal expenses. Let
    it be known that a police report is on file for theft of services for the above matter.
    Kindly govern yourself accordingly.
    Yours truly,

4. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Looks firmilliar....

I was going to say I posted a thread with one of these a while back. I see someone found it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. zmelli

zmelli LawnSite Member

Just unleash a giant bag of plastic peanuts on the lawn! works every time.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I can't believe you have to ask strangers on a open forum how to get your money from doing a job! (beating the crap out of the smiley face with a BFH!

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you really want to get their attention, let www.olddebts.com send them a collection letter. They will send it legally, from a real collection agency. You can even have olddebts put it on their credit record. Don't forget to include the fees you pay to olddebts.com as part of the bill.

8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Put on the back of your trucks:
    Customer:
    Name left out
    12345 Rodeo dr
    Yourtown USA
    owes my company $XXX.XX and will not pay us.

I would NOT include the customers name. I recently saw on one of those portable business billboards in front of a local business and the sign said:
    Bad checks from
    _____ ______ (name, was a female)
    __________ (local town)

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I Lolled ...

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote is for this one.^^^^^^
    I rewrote one sent to me one time. It didn't work for me but worked on them and I got my money.