need a durable 21 inch mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, Apr 1, 2003.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

im starting this lawnmowing season with about 10 customers this year, versus the 5 i had last year. So, for my part time job im gonna need something a lot more durable than last year, because the cheap lawnboy i had last year is almost broken now.

this is what im looking for:

around really hilly areas , so i need self propelled

the grass gets pretty thick, i dont want to have any problems with clippings

i need bag/mulch and side discharge

looking to spend about 500

ive been through lots of lawnmowers, they usually get tossed every year or 2. im really gonna need something durable this season. HELP!

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

$500 probably won't cut it for self propelled, durable, and powerful, with bagging/mulching/discharge capability.

I would suggest instead a 32" real walk behind commercial mower. $1999 for a fixed deck 10.5-12 hp model. Add $100 or so for a mulching kit and $250 for a bagger. A lot more invested, but you will be nearly twice as productive, use less effort, and will make more money. And a 32" will go most anywhere a 21" will.

You'll wear out a cheaper wb using it on 10 lawns fairly quickly. The 32" wb would last a decade at that pace, at the very least. It will also handle heavy grass and mulch, discharge, and bag better.

If you do even one more lawn a week (and you easily could do more than that with the time saved) with the better mower you'd more than pay for it's extra cost vs. the 21"

For a commercial quality 21" mower like you described, expect to spend maybe $900. TANSTAAFL

3. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice, but i dont wanna spedn teh whole year earning that back. with only 10 customers that would take a while for me. and, this is my second last season.
    i might be willing to spend up to $700

if there isnt anything good in that range, i might have to go with 2 Home Depot mowers over the next 2 years

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend a commerical Toro.

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have to say look at a commercial lawnboy

6. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I agree with the idea of buying a 32 inch walkbehind. Maybe you will work a little more to pay for it but you dont toss it every yaer or two. The most important think i have learned over the years is dont scimp on the equipoment. Money is wasted by throwing out worn out cheap equipment and your productivity will pay for the extra cost . If you plan to stay in the business plan smart along the way:)

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 different 500.00 john deeres from home depot 1 is 9mos old 1 is 2 years old.while in repair,home depot has loaned me for a week at a time,a honda hydro and a toro personal pace.If you want some truth,e-mail me for it.

8. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I got a TROY-BILT from Lowes. Paid $350 for it. It came with all 3 options, 6 horse Briggs motor self proprlled with mulch-discharge-bagger. The last Troy Bilt I had came with all 3 options for $450. I used it for 6 years before the motor died. Also have had greatluck with SNAPPER self propelled push mowers. You can get them for 500 or less. And they ARE durable.

9. rod r

rod r LawnSite Member
    from south

I think the Exmark 21 runs about $750.00

10. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i just bought a lawn boy commercial yesterday, 6.5 hp. the price i got it for was $759. 2 cycle engine. seams like a good mower.