Need a fertilizer program

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hdayanan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I am located in michigan, need some advice on a good fertilizer program. I just reseeded 3 weeks back and used the lesco starter fert, I have some crabgrass, clover and broadleaf weeds. I need advice on what type of combo fert and weed control I should use.

Any type of particular fert program you follow for the year also is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    dan

:)

2. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

Need to add to above, I read in the forum that liquid spray is better, what can i use for Broadleaf, crab grass, creeping charlie, clover, Dandelions.

Kind rgds
    dan

3. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I'm certainly no expert and this is probably somewhat overkill and wasteful but I basically bought a 5 gallon Solo sprayer tank and mixed in the 'per instructions' amount of 2,4-D , MSMA, and Image or manage, and sprayed everything with it. Yeah most weeds just need one of those three, but it saves me the hassle of discerning and making 2 or 3 passes.

It might be a little overly harsh, but it hasn't killed or even really bothered my hybrid bermuda yet except for some termporary browning in spots here and there from the MSMA - but in 2 weeks you'd never know anything happened to that spot, good as new, albeit without the weed. In fact there has yet to be a single weed I've sprayed with this that the above mixture didn't kill.:D

4. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

Hi Threxx

Thanks for the reply, where did you get the products..? lesco seems expensive.

rgds
    dan

5. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

sorry could not edit my above post;

Hi Threxx

Thanks for the reply,

I have Kentucy blue and some fescue and rye, is it ok to use the above combo on these?

where did you get the products..? lesco seems expensive.

rgds
    dan

6. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I got it at a local store - pretty much just a small fab building with a warehouse attached that normally just sells to lawn pros, like the guys that you get to service your lawn. But they were more than happy to sell to me as well.

It definitely cost a pretty penny for all three of the chemicals... I think around 160 bucks, plus I paid another 90 or so for the backpack sprayed (but it's MUCH better than the ones they sell at home depot and such).

But then again those chemicals will last me for YEARS. So while it was expensive on the front end, it's very cost effective over the long run.

You should check with them to make sure it's OK for those types of grass. They'd know better than I would and might even have some alternative recommendations as well.:)

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

At this stage of the season, the first frost will probably kill most of these annual weeds. You could wait until spring, and then at that time apply a PREemergent to keep these weed seeds from germinating, or with some preemergents such as Barricade, you could apply in late fall (November). MSMA is a postemergent arsenic based chemical for crabgrass and broadleaf control, but can injure your fescue, or may discolor your lawn. Instead, you may want to check out Dimension 1EC (dithiopyr), which is for use on your type of grass, and then for your broadleaf weeds that make it past the preemergent application, just use a 2,4-D based herbicide.

Dimension 1EC

8. hdayanan

hdayanan LawnSite Member
    from detroit

Thanks for all the replies;

Kind Regards
    dan