1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a few opinions about which badboy to get.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddol1971, Jul 9, 2008.

1. toddol1971

toddol1971 LawnSite Member

I looked at them today & know that I want the suspension. That means lightning or better. They sure have alot of engine choices. He had a 31 hp kaw 60" lightning for 8000.00 bucks. Thats not any different than the exmark I looked at. I will use the mower for around 8 to 10 acres a week, or whenever the grass needs mowed. Is that a good price? Any dealers around that know? I would like opinions of any kind as to what motor & why 31 kaw, 35 briggs. I only wanted to spend 7 grand, but I need the suspension. Thanks for your help.
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

buy a ferris and get a real suspension and real dealer support with a proven track record.
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Wow, that's awful presumptive considering you've never been to his dealer. How do you know what his dealer support is like? Also, Bad Boys have been around 10 years. That's more than proven. We'll buy ZTRs with 1-2 year old engine designs and consider those proven, but I guess the ZTR company has to be 25 years old to be proven I guess. :dizzy:
  4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I ran a 32 hp Briggs Vanguard on a 60" Lightening for 30 hrs. and nothing slows that engine down, it is amazingly powerful. I have no idea the difference in fuel usage between the 31 Kawi and the 32 Vanguard but I would think the 35 would like fuel a little more. I really don't understand why they would even put a 35 on a 60" decked Lightening when the 32 will never change sounds from dropping rpm's. I know without doubt the 32 will handle a 72" deck with no effort. The ride with the 4 wheel torsion rubber suspension is very good and will outlast the Ferris suspension, there is nothing to wear out on the Badboy suspension and there is on a Ferris.
  5. chrisduryea

chrisduryea LawnSite Member

I'll agree, I have the 32HP 60" Lightning and the only time the engine has changed note is when mowing the first time I got it, due to the grass being nearly 1metre tall and mowing down to 3". Since then it is sweet and uses much less fuel than the old Lawntractor. The 31Kawasaki has more torque so it should be very similar to the 32HP Vanguard. All the best. You will thank us as I now mow so quick I can do it anytime.
  6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

You can get the 31hp Kawasaki on a 52" deck now....! :waving:
  7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Lightning 52" with the Kawasaki 26 LC and it has plenty of power so the 31 HP on the 60" should be plenty as well.
    Great machines...
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

5 ferris dealers within 30 miles. 0 babd boy dealers within 50. Never seen a bad boy on a trailer or in a home owners yard. Proven? NO. Bad machine? I have no idea. Until proven i stay with industry leaders and their known commitment to their machines. Also ferris has a REAL suspension that moves with the deck as to not chop up the lawn. Not rubber disks or flex forks. I saw a bad boy mower at TSC today and thought it was ugly, however as i looked more and more at it it looks fairly well buil and seems to be a good machine for the money. BUT tractor supply for service? If there was a dealer around here i would demo and give an honest opinion on its performance.
  9. Jeff777

Jeff777 LawnSite Member

People like what they like. All Dealers have become jerks regards allowing you to demo machines properly anymore. I don't see how anyone can automatically see one machine as better than another based solely on advertising without testing under many conditions. Some machines do only one thing well. Once upon a time I believed in JD and now see them as a bad joke.

I can personally spot a Ferris mowed lawn a 1/4 mile away because of the waves. Unless they've redesigned their suspension since I looked at them it doesn't isolate it from the deck.

Just bought a Kubota because I needed a machine in a hurry, would have preferred the BB. Near to everything on that machine is bolt on with easy access - after warranty, who needs a Dealer?

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

so b/c i dont have a walker dealer or a lesco dealer around they arent proven? hmmm, thanks for the heads up, last i checked these were great machines, just not too popular in this area. but since they arent around theyre not proven so i wont get one until they have been in mid ga for 20 years. great logic huh?

the TSC stores that have the BB mowers do not service the machines, they are required to have a authorized repair center w/i x miles. and the mowers sold at tsc arent the same as the true commercial line.

i have demoed the ferris and the suspension is NOT integrated w/ the deck to prevent scalping. the wheels have suspension parts on them, but it isnt integrated, that said i think ferris leaves a nice cut, but lets not start making false statements.