Need a Florida pro's help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Florida Lawn, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Florida Lawn

Florida Lawn LawnSite Member

Sorry if this has been asked, I searched, but couldnt find anything. I Live in a fastly growing area outside of Orange Park (JAX) the subdivision that I live in will contain 600+ homes whne done with several other subs close by I would say 2500+ homes in 5 miles radius. One of my questions is this. I started putting out flyers (200) door to door, got about 10 jobs, lawn size is around 1000 sq I charge $25.00 for cut trim adge and blow. Takes me about 20 minutes alone. No one wants to committ to a contract, but several are byweekly (call me when they need me deals) some are realtors. Do I charge enough? Is there hesitation simply that this is a lower income division with the avereage home price of $225k? Or is it that I use personal non commercial equipment? Everyone says they are happy when I'm done but I would think that I would be able to get some contracts. Sorry this is so long, looking to hear some good advice from the pro's.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

None of my customers are on contracts, nor would I ever ask for a home owner to sign 1. Its just something I was told years ago. Home owners dont get contracts, commercial customers do. Mine are all on a verbal agreement. All but 1 pay the same price per month, year round. I dont think $225k is lower income. But I could be wrong.
    My monthly customers are on my "Complete Lawn Service" deal. I take care of everything (except fert.) for 1 price. They all seem to like it as well.Now they have all in 1 service. Maybe add some services to your's and try the 1 price per month.

Hope this helps you.

3. greenlawngone

greenlawngone LawnSite Member
    from fl

that's the game, it's a learning process, but as chad's already said make it a one stop deal for your customer's, but make sure you are making a profit.

4. Florida Lawn

I guess I needed to be a little clearer, They only want to pay as they go (per cut) even though I tried the You can save X amount of $ for some sort of commitment, (like yes please do it everyother week without a contract). There is no way I can schedule anything, with them calling everytime.

5. ChadsLawn

You need to hit the pavement with flyers again then. Slower season is here and people know it. Drop these people that are on a "call" basis. You'll never make any money and there dictating how your business is run. You quoted $25? What happens when they wait a month and the grass is 8" tall. Is it still $25? Those should be priced per cut, WHEN you cut. Make then pay cash up front also. Your business, your rules, NOT THERES.
    Hit the areas that are alittle more established.
    When I did my flyers, In hit 34 diff areas. New, not so new (x2) and older sub-division. I got a few calls from the new and landed ZERO. I got all my customers from the "not so new" and the "older" sub-divisions.
    So try that method. Also, 200 flyers isnt even a dent. Try more like 1000+.

Good luck

6. ChadsLawn

oooops, suppose to say 4 diff areas

7. Florida Lawn

Chad thanks for the help. Currently im working on doing a mailer that will drop in a certain radius, (by carrier routes) not sure if this will work, but it will hit the target area, however they have much larger lots (still less than 1/2 acre) most have an irrigation system so growing hasn't slowed alot. Yes, if I go out to a job and there are bushes and real tall grass, I do charge accordinly, but that is in the walk around with the owner, my flyer simpy states "starting at", maybe im wrong for putting a price out there, but all that have called I cut at least once. Maybe I should lower the price to say a mow and blow, and go out to each site to pre arrange the service based on what they are looking for, and make them commit to a monthly service as you advised, and not take the one timers or "I'll call you" folks.

8. ChadsLawn

NEVER EVER put prices on flyers. Why? If you do, then thats what people will expect to pay. If the person looking at your flyer is looking for the cheapest and you posted your starting price. Then they already know your price is too high.
    Lemme see if I can find my flyer and Ill attatch it here, so you can look at it.
    Also do a search for "flyer" and you should find alot of them here.

9. Florida Lawn

You can email it to me at kfanton@msn.com
    Thanks again for the advise.

10. ChadsLawn

heres my flyer

Attached Files: