1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

need a good 21'' push mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 6, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

I was wondering if I can get by with a 21'' toro mower from homdepot for small yards? OR do I need to spend over $300 for one? home depot has toro and honda. All are around 6hp. What specs do I look for in a 21'' push mower.

2. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how are the craftsman 21" commercial mowers?

3. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

they are good mowwers i just wouldnt cut more than 20 yard a week with one

4. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

a commercial 21 is going to cost you at least $800.I WOULD CONSIDER A USED ONE.stick with toro 21 on the market

5. JustAGlimpseLawnCare

JustAGlimpseLawnCare LawnSite Member

My partner and I bought a Toro 22" Recycler (sold at HD) for $275 last year, and it's worked out great. We just started advertising last year and had about 20 jobs, and the mower was flawless throughout the season, well worth the money. Just make sure to keep track of its use and change the oil and sharpen the blades at the right times and you'll be good. We were on a pretty tight budget at the time and the Toro presented the best opportunity, and it paid off...we'll be using it again this year. Of course, we've added to our equipment, so it won't get as much use this year, but it's definitely up to the challenge. Can't beat the quality for the capital outlay.

6. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

snapper all the way

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I like the Honda HRX's but those run about $600-$800. I always liked Hondas, there are some okay cheaper models there, but the ones with the smart drive, I heard are sometimes annoying/hard to hold down the drive control. just my 2cents

8. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

thanks everyone for the replies, I think for this year, I will go with the toro 22'' recycler, need to save on the money for the scag wildcat

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the money and get Toro's commercial 21" you will be money ahead in the long run.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Toro's 21 Super Recyclers have worked well for me. $500, or $550 w/ bag.