Need a good riding home lawn mower.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by HeavenSoldier, Mar 25, 2006.

1. HeavenSoldier

HeavenSoldier LawnSite Member

Hello, I am just looking for a good riding mower. I have a lawn where I use the walking mower and when I use it, it takes me 3 hours almost to cut the front lawn, excluding the back!! I was wondering what is a good lawn mower to get? Should I look into the John Deere series, I saw this help section by, was wondering should I follow it?

Thanks and God Bless.
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

How big is your lawn?
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

ALOT of talk about the '06 Craftsman models being the best bang for the buck this year...and I have no complaints about my Craftsman GT. What ever you get get the next size bigger. You will be glad you did. Also if you have any fences then that may limit the size of deck you get.
  4. HeavenSoldier

OKay I have 1 1/2 acra yard most likely I believe, and yes I do have a fence, I need to measure it.
  5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

You might look at a commercial walk behind 48" or one of the homeowner ZTRs at Lowes or HD. Alot faster than a garden tractor.
  6. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

just stay away from the john deere tractors at home depot- they are not real john deere's, when it comes to fixing them and repair you will have a very hard time finding parts. i would try to find a small - medium dealer in your area - i am a big beleiver in toro's i've had mine forever and they are perfect machines for the homeowner, if you can afford it by all means buy a real john deere, great investment in my book but make sure you go to a real john deere dealership.
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you've taken the time to come to this site, and you say you want a 'good' mower, I'd recommend that you look into a more commercial model. They cost more, but they will last a lot longer. Several of the manufacturers build good quality residential units (Hustler, Scag, Toro, Exmark, John Deere, Gravely, etc.). They will cost a lot more than the Sears-Lowe's-Home Depot models, but they are worth it. Dixon and Snapper offer commercial units, but I would avoid their homeowner models.

I looked at the link you posted and I think it leaves out a lot of information and has some inaccuracies. For instance, commercial riding mowers often have the engines in the back to give added traction to the drive wheels. It also keeps the hot air and exhaust from blowing back on the operator when you drive it. A Zero Turning Radius (ZTR) mower is a lot more maneuverable than a tractor-style mower.

Look at the quality of the deck, i.e. stamped sheetmetal, or welded plate. Look at how easy it is to change a drive belt. Look at how easy it is to change cutting height. Look at the size and quality of all the actuating rods and rod ends. How easy is it to service the air & oil filters? Don't forget a grass catcher, if you plan to use one.

There are a number of used commercial units available right now. Some are worn out, but there are some pretty good bargains, too. Look on Ebay, Thrifty Nickel, etc.
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

a cub cadet would be good, so would a new simplicity regent or broadmoor, i personaly don't like the design and functionality of the new craftsman with the new hydro pumps, they look like they will fail prematurly
  9. HeavenSoldier

Okay thanks for the information, I will take your advice. I may look into the John Deere lawn mower. Even though they're price usually exceeds 2,000 dollars! But I will look around, thanks and God Bless. :usflag:
  10. HeavenSoldier