Need a good time release fertilizer.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by newhort, Feb 5, 2006.

1. newhort

newhort LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a fertilizer that is a true time release. Something that is both water and time (sulfur coating). All of my lawns are irrigated and have a huge problem with to much nitrogen pushing to much growth (early in sring) and brown patch in summer. Lesco fert. is not giving me the proper release. Any help would be great.

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

PolyOn from Pursells. N release is supposed to be controlled by temperature. I have used it on irrigated lawns and it does not create a flush of growth. It releases over a ten week period. For high quality lawns, particularly the ones where you do the mowing and fertilizing, this is my fertilizer of choice. Safe to use. I applied at 2.25 lbs N/M, in July, and did not burn the turf. This product is not a big hit with LCOs because it cuts down on number of applications in a season due to long release period. It's more popular with golf and nursery production.

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Find out the other fertilizer distributors in your region. I'll bet there's a golf course or two (hundred) in your beautiful region of the country! They're not calling Lesco for bags of 24-5-11!

Andersons, Lebanon, Best, UAP . . . are just some of the national brands available, and they all have varying blends of slow release fertilizers with different and varying N sources. Use the search feature here to start your research. The national brands have websites that'll direct you to local distributors of their products.

You will also have to adjust your cost structure, but you'll be able to find a blend you like for your turf for a reasonable price. But good fertilizers aren't cheap. Their performance difference shows up in times of stress.

4. newhort

newhort LawnSite Member

Thanks from all the info. My business is based on 12 month contract where I do everything from mowing thur pulling weeds. I am trying to set myself apart of the rest my having a great lawns in the middle August. I come across a website called Greenview that had some interesting info. Thanks

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The Andersons has good slow release products. I have had good luck with Wilbur Ellis ferts with Wil-Cote and Wil-Cote2. Look for a polymer coated N. It will outlast SCU, (sulfur coated urea).

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are dealing with a good number of Fescue lawns, I have two recommendations for you.

Lebanon MESA 25-2-5 has a slow release component that is better than SCU because it depends on microbes to break down, not just water. You would get a more consistent release pattern even in cooler weather. I use it on Fescue in Georgia.

Also, look into anything that contains Nutralene. Nutralene is similar to MESA, but one of the industry standards for microbial release. Nutralene is not cheap, however. If you cannot find a vendor in your area who sells it, try www.regalchem.com They will ship anywhere in the US.

As far as brown patch goes.....make your last application of Nitrogen about April 1. If you go later than that, the turf will still have too much N supply heading into the hot weather. That is why you get BP.

Another thing that will help is doing an Iron+Potassium application about June 1. The Potassium will help the Fescue during the stress of Summer. Then don't apply anything but Iron and Fungicide until September.

7. newhort

newhort LawnSite Member

Thanks Turf Unlimited, I stop in at the area Lesco dealer to check on price og prem's and He said they are caring fert. with poly but they could not give a good time line. I was talking about the use of iron in the summer. Have you ever sprayed iron? What was the length of time the lawn stayed green.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the pH of the soil, but Iron seems to last no more than 3-4 weeks for me.

9. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Determine what percentage of slow relase N you are using now, and determine what percentage you want to use. Divide the % of slow release on the bag by the N percentage will give you the % of slow release N.

10. fertit

fertit LawnSite Member
    from 97034

Give your buddies at Dickens a call there in Nashville. They can set you up with a great program. They don't like:clapping: Lesco either...