Need a GREAT mulching 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Mar 15, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I went to my local Deere dealer this weekend to buy a new JS63 mulching mower (in my opinion the best made..even with the can be replaced) only to be informed that JD won't be making them anymore (only going to make 2 rear baggers...I think the models are JS 65 and 75). I need an alternative to the Deere for a mulching 21".

I have run Toro recyclers but had a lot of trouble with the drive mechanism. Any suggestions ( in the sub $800 US range is ideal) for a good mulcher would be appreciated.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Nothing mulches better than a Lawnboy com. w/6.5hp Duraforce
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

4. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

I have used lawnboys...always liked em, no problems, and do a good job
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

my JD JX85's mulch real well.

6. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

buy a used commercial toro for under 800. I almost never bag with mine.
  7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

JD makes a super home owner mower. But I bought 2 of the 75 during the 02 season and now they are shot. Mainly transmission problems. I gave,,,, I think around 500 dollars each for them I salvaged 1 for 50 dollars at the end of the season and the other is sitting under a tarp behind the shop. I bought Honda commercial 21s during the 03 season and they work as well a year later as they did the day we bought them. Exmark and Torro also make a great trim mower. I agree with the above post, Buy a low time commercial trim mower if we have to stay below 800. I'm sure after 500 lawns you will be glad you spent the extra money. And hey,,it's a tax write off

8. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I know that I will get alot of negative feedback on this one but, In my opinion, with the little bit of push mowing we do, you can't go wrong by getting a Craftsman 6.5hp Briggs push mower, last one I had lasted 7 years, and still works. Give it a shot, only around 200 dollars.
  9. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

How do you get away with using a residential mower?

With the plastic wheels and low quality parts how long do you get out of them? I've always used Honda commercial mowers so I can get 5 plus seasons out of them. I tried a 2 stroke Toro residential once, loved the cut but only got 1 seasons use out of it and that's just using it part time.
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper 21", commercial or residential.