Need a GREAT mulching 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassrootsinab, Mar 15, 2004.

1. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I went to my local Deere dealer this weekend to buy a new JS63 mulching mower (in my opinion the best made..even with the Briggs...it can be replaced) only to be informed that JD won't be making them anymore (only going to make 2 rear baggers...I think the models are JS 65 and 75). I need an alternative to the Deere for a mulching 21".

I have run Toro recyclers but had a lot of trouble with the drive mechanism. Any suggestions ( in the sub $800 US range is ideal) for a good mulcher would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Nothing mulches better than a Lawnboy com. w/6.5hp Duraforce

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

4. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

I have used lawnboys...always liked em, no problems, and do a good job

5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

my JD JX85's mulch real well.

Tim

6. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

buy a used commercial toro for under 800. I almost never bag with mine.

7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

JD makes a super home owner mower. But I bought 2 of the 75 during the 02 season and now they are shot. Mainly transmission problems. I gave,,,, I think around 500 dollars each for them I salvaged 1 for 50 dollars at the end of the season and the other is sitting under a tarp behind the shop. I bought Honda commercial 21s during the 03 season and they work as well a year later as they did the day we bought them. Exmark and Torro also make a great trim mower. I agree with the above post, Buy a low time commercial trim mower if we have to stay below 800. I'm sure after 500 lawns you will be glad you spent the extra money. And hey,,it's a tax write off

Allen

8. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I know that I will get alot of negative feedback on this one but, In my opinion, with the little bit of push mowing we do, you can't go wrong by getting a Craftsman 6.5hp Briggs push mower, last one I had lasted 7 years, and still works. Give it a shot, only around 200 dollars.

9. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

How do you get away with using a residential mower?

With the plastic wheels and low quality parts how long do you get out of them? I've always used Honda commercial mowers so I can get 5 plus seasons out of them. I tried a 2 stroke Toro residential once, loved the cut but only got 1 seasons use out of it and that's just using it part time.

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapper 21", commercial or residential.