Need a Kohler expert...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by crazycritterguy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I posted this problem on the commercial site as well, but I'm still looking for advice... I have a new scag turf tiger, 27 Kohler...at the dealer everything checked out fine. I ran it for 5 hours, and changed the oil...HOWEVER..., when I went to add the new oil, I discovered that the oil dipstick was GONE...and the only place it could go was down in the oil res........How much damage can this cause, since for all I know, it could have fell off in the 1st 5 minutes and been bouncing around down there...the engine only has 5 total hours on it! What if the dealer somehow finds and removes it and says "it didn't hert anything"...COULD it have caused problems?,,,What kind....?...Anybody???

2. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

I dont think the dip stick is totally in side the motor,as it is about 8" long, I would think you could either use a magnet or just take the dipstick tube off and and retrieve it. Are you sure there was one in the first place As far as damage I dont think there will be any as it was resting on the bottom of the sump and with it being long the angle it would have to be to totally slid into the motor just isnt there

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: dont think the dipstick can actually make the turn needed to get into the crankcase, get a magnet and pull it out if you can see it.