1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a lil help....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stangman, Sep 23, 2003.

1. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

OK I'm in the process of reseeding my yard. The only thing I have done is lay down some lime. My next step is to spread grass, which I am cool w/ doing. My question is after I lay the grass seed do I need to put any fertilizer down? And if so when?
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You should have started with a soil test. This would have told you if you even needed the lime and also give you the opportunity to fix any nutrient deficiencies beforehand. That being said, if you already laid the seed, then yes, starter fertilizer would be next.
  3. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

As far as the seed goes I'm kinda torn between rye and fescue. presently just have fescue. I would like to have it nice and green in the winter but still would like it to last thru the spring. So would it be a good idea to mix the two seeds or just go w/ one or the other. As you can see I am fairly new to this.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup..I hate it when customers tell me to put down lime when a soil test hasn't even been done yet.
  5. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

That's the only response I get?????? C'mon fellas someone can gimme some advice.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

stangman I am no landscaper but have seeded several lawns. It goes something like this. Prep area to be seeded. Level make sure sprinklers are level and spraying properly.
    TAKE Soil TEST to see what you need.
    Apply additaves (wether it be lime or such) Water in for a couple of days. (if you have the time)
    Then apply seed and starter fertilizer and make sure you have good seed to soil contact.
    Then lay a topdressing on such as aged manure, hay or paper. Water enough to keep soil moist not sopping and not dry.
    Seed germination pending weather, seed type and area.
    Good luck.