1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a lisence???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by enviouslawns, Feb 27, 2008.

1. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

If i was to put down all organic would i need a lisence?
  2. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

probably, there are many threads that answer your question just do a search on it
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends on what applications you are doing. Please check with your states fertilizer and pesticide laws

Granular fetilizers typically no but the fertilizer needs to be lisenced by the state normally
    Spraying fertilizers and organic pesticides, typically yes

Broad answer for a broad question, you'll need to be more specific to get a better answer
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Most probably ... just go ahead and get one and then it's a moot point !!
  5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

If you spray you need it - bottom line. you can't do tea without it!
  6. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

also, if you do need to use any kind of synthetic, which can happen with the right customers, you wont have any problems getting it or anything too, my company is organic based, if a customer wants results now or there is just to much work for organics to even scratch the surface and still be cost effective then synthetics come in play.

its also always good to have your bases covered even if you dont plan on ever using them, anything can happen
  7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get your license! I "heard" from my buddy that I don't need to know anything and can apply organic. I'm tired of these posts (and yes, I don't have to read them ;). While some on here are very knowledgable and don't feel they need a pesticide license, it weeds out the people that don't know a lick about organics or soil and bring the whole industry down. Granted there are plenty of licensed people that don't know squat, but licensing is for the greater good. You should pick up some things along the way.
  8. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

natty quote - "While some on here are very knowledgable and don't feel they need a pesticide license, it weeds out the people that don't know a lick about organics or soil and bring the whole industry down."

Who here thinks they don't need a license to spray tea? Is there another way to get tea on plants? If our knowledgable organic "threaders" on lawnsite don't think they need to have a license to spray tea (a primary focus in organic programs and without it do you really have a solid organic program?) then they better brush up on their knowledge (of law in their state) and make sure that IF their state is ok. Then when they tell others it is ok they should reference the state they know what they are talking about.

I know the law here in KY and you HAVE to have a license. I know of a bunch of other states that are the same. So listen to natty cause he knows PA and I know KY - get your license in these states. Thats all I have to say about that....
  9. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

You do not need a lisc for organics. When you spray tea you are not attempting to regulate a pest, just add nutrients. If you were going to use vineger as an herbicide at the commercial level then you would need a pesticide lisc. On the other hand you could also be fined for applying off label, because vineger is not an herbicide. As far as I know, at least here in the NE, fertilizer apps are not regulated but soon will (my guess).
  10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Boats is right. You do not need a pesticide lisence to apply compost tea. Only products that are registered with the EPA as a pesticide require an applicators lisence if you are applying them for on properties other than your own.

Products such as Bt, Neem Oil, horticultural oil are approved for organic food production, but are EPA registered pesticides and therefore do require a pesticide license to apply. Compost tea is not registered as a pesticide and does not require a license.

However, if you promote yourself as controlling pests (weeds, insects, mites, diseases) with compost tea, you are setting yourself up for a lot of trouble.

Avoid this by making statements such as "improving plants defense system" or "university studies show".

I'm done on this subject, my lawyer told me to shut up.:nono: