Need a little advice.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by printer88, Feb 28, 2006.

1. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I normally just do landscaping (mulching, new beds, planting etc...).
    But I have had a few people ask me if I could aerate their lawns. I checked on renting an aerator and I can rent one for $75.00 for the entire weekend. My question is can I just aerate, then overseed with a broadcast spreader, and follow it up with a good fertilizer? Does this sound acceptable. Also how many 1/2 acre lawns might I be able to do in two days working alone? One more thing, is overseeding a must, and what type of seed?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    God Bless.
    Tommy

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it is to late to overseed with rye it will dye out by the time it germinates .

3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Aerate and overseed in fall only. It's very profitable - you should easily get $20-$30 per thousand square feet. Use a Lesco spreader or similar before you aerate (it's too hard to push over top of the plugs) and the aerator will push the seed into the ground for a better effect. Break down and buy an aerator - the best investment you can make.

BTW - I have a Plugr aerator with 1 hour on it for sale, very cheap. Picked it up as an extra but I don't need it. Email for details if interested.

4. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the help.