Need a little advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by larry1189, Sep 14, 2006.

1. larry1189

larry1189 LawnSite Member

I currently operate a seasonal greenhouse and I also have some commercial and residential accounts that I mow. I also do some small landscape projects that the "big" boys do really care about. I sort of feed off their scaps. But its what I like. I stay really busy. My question is this, the town is only about 10,000 people, their are a few guys who do spaying around town and there are a few companies that come here from out of town. I have people ask me to spray, I tell them I don't have a licence. I have thought about doing it, but I have no experience in doing it. I have even read the test books, but I am smart enough to know that I should leave it alone. It alot more than just killing weeds! I have talked to a couple the guys that spray about spraying for the accounts that I find for them. They all say no, except the Chem Lawn guys in another town. The locals say that they don't want to spray, then have me mow to short or something and damage the grass. I tell them I am smarter than that. What should I do. I don't know if I should go out of town, I don't want anyone pissed at me. Thanks.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you have answered your own question, and I think that to advise you any different would not be a good idea.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Don't want to Pi$$ you off, but why not just do one thing right,
    This is what I just read-- You have a green house but it does not make enough money to live off of so you cut grass also. and do landscape projects. So who do you sell plants to-- the guys that you compete against doing landscape projects?
    Maybe that’s why they are not buying from you and why you can not make it on that alone. And now you want to do lawncare. But you don't know how so you just want to play salesman. How can you do that if you do not know what to sell? That’s why they will not let you sell their work.
    You’re feeding off scraps-- and you’re really busy-- but you want more?? The only reason I can see for that is because you need more money. I see the Jack of all and Master of none here.
    Why not pick one thing and be the best at that. There are only 10000 people but there are big boys and guys that come from out of town so there is enough work. People will not be Pi$$ed at you-- they don't even realize you are there. You are doing so many things that you are not doing anything noteworthy, or even worse, worthy of good money.
    I may be totally off base here but the way your post was written and what you asked for-- I do not think I am. Pick one thing and work it to the top!

4. larry1189

My greenhouse is a 2 month spring project. Its Minnesota, we have about three months of summer. The plants that I sell do not compete with the "Big Boys." Its annuals, garden plants, planters, baskets, things like that. Not your typical landscape plants. The main reason I do what I do is because I like it. I don't care how my question was written or how it is percieved. I get calls to do large projects, projects that I could do, but I tell people to give a certain guy a call because that is what he does. Its no different than when a house is built. I know building companys that do almost everything themselves, but there are guys that do sheetrocking. Should they be pissed at each other? I don't stick my nose into bidding projects that I know the other landscape guys can do. I don't even think about it. Don't want to. I take care of very small accounts. Watering, cause they don't have a sprinkler system, and yes, I have mentioned that I could have a guy give them an estimate to get it done, they don't want one. I weed a few beds of business in town. Everything I do, is small, thats what I meant about "feeding on the scraps." By the way my greenhouse is finacially enough. I did post this to get "ripped." Maybe I was misunderstood. I just wanted a little advice. The guys that can spray in town are good guys, and do great work. I tell alot of people that. Sorry if I affended anyone.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not sure what you're looking for.........

Either get licensed and start the fert and squirt or refer to someone else.........
    Pissing people off is sometimes just part of the process, do what you think is right for YOUR business and let others sort out their own affairs.
    Any one who is running a real business understands what competition is all about, you either work it to your advantage or get lost in the shuffle.

6. PMLAWN

I was not offended and did not intend to "ripp"
    You just sounded confused as to what you wanted to do, You want advice but I do not really know what subject you want the advice on.
    What are you missing now--- what are you looking for?

7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

???? In everyones defense this post is a little hard to understand the EXACT question. Simplify the post and make a little more clear your question and the advice might be better. JMO

8. larry1189

ok. Here it is. The main issue is the spraying. I believe that you don't just pick up a book and now you are ready to go. I think you should work under or with someone who is in the business. I don't want to get involved in that aspect of this business. Should I go and talk to the local guys again about spraying accounts that I give them? I really don't want any money for doing it even. Its just something that I can do for my customers, so they don't have to worry about it. If those guys don't want to, do I go for the out-of-town guys? They are already here as well? Like I said before, really I am not competing at all with the local guys who have the licenses.

9. PMLAWN

If there is no money- No work- and no involvement, Just carry cards of the guys that do it and give those to your customers.

"Here, call this guy" ----Done deal

10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I think also, If for some reason these guys dont want to spray for you:confused:maybe they dont like money,I dont understand that? Let your client make the call or use the "out of town" company. They will spary I dont care who you are:laugh:.