1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a little help guys....!Motor going up?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MoGreen, Aug 23, 2007.

1. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

Bought a Bobcat Leo w/ 17.5 B&S about a year ago. It's the ELS 500 motor model#31L777-0110E1. It's VERY hard to turn over past the compression stroke, and has burned up 3 starters because of this. Less than 200 hrs on it, and been to the dealer many times. Called B&S and had the cam and compression relief valve replaced, but didn't fix the problem. (Evidentally, there was a service bulletin out for this) They "fixed" it for free....but it didn't help. I'm thinking of just buying a new motor out of pocket....
    IF I do, what should I be looking for? Does the wiring harness of the new motor plug right up? I doubt it!
    Here's the specifics: 3-5/32", 1/4" keyway, 7/16-20, 1" diameter shaft, keyway, alternator is 9amp I think....does it matter what amp it is?
    I do not know what all of these mean, and all I could find were the specs for the 31L777-0036 motor which I guess is the newer replacement of my current motor. I guess it became obsolete? The mower is about 3-4 years old.
    I assume I have to replace it with a B&S because of the bolt pattern on the mower?
    I have been looking at the Vanguard 18hp.
    I really would appreciate any help. I plan on spending around $1000-$1500 total. I can install it myself-I have basic knowledge and it seems pretty easy.
    Thanks a lot!!!!
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My question is;

Did they adjust the valves properly ?

On this engine the piston should be positioned at 1/4" past top dead center compression stroke before adjustment otherwise the compression release will not function properly.
  3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what rob said. PROPER valve adjustment is crucial! It may also save you the cost of an engine.
    You can use something like a wooded pencil for a depth gauge. Get the piston TDC and mark the pencil at the spark plug threads. Make another mark 1/4" "out" from that on the pencil. Slowly rotate the engine so the piston goes down and the second mark on the pencil aligns.

Go to the link and download the IPL for your engine!
    You'll see the 0110 type uses a different crankshaft than what is "normally" used for that engine. ERGO, it won't work. The IPL doesn't list HOW it's different, but it's probably length and/or diameter.
    As for alternator- both these engines use the same alternator, but since the crank is different.....Worst case on an engine swap is you can just swap the charging systems- flywheel, stator..

4. Bill Kapaun

5. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

As usual, excellent responses, and lots of juicy info-just what I wanted!!
    Shot an e-mail to B&S Corp. and just got the response back. Got a phone call at work from the B&S District rep and he assured me it would be taken care of. Brand new motor!!!
    He said to take it to my dealer, and B&S would take the loss to make this customer satisfied!! Hats off! I am soo happy! How long should a break in be required before changing over to synthetic?
    Thanks again!!!!!
  6. Bill Kapaun

"How long should a break in be required before changing over to synthetic?"

You couldn't leave well enough alone!:)
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

At least 50 hours.
    The squeeky wheel gets the grease. I put some squeeks toward Kohler and they replaced my 25 Command with a Command Pro and it's still running strong after 6 years. The first one started having problems at about 75 hours. This is how these large companies should treat the consumer. I would not hesitate to purchase a Kohler engine.
  8. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

Yup, I have never had B&S as my favorite, but never really had a reason to dislike them either. My friend owns a HUGE local company (Parsons) and he said B&S has never let them down yet. If he has a problem, they take care of it-simple as that.
    This experience has certainly instilled my trust in the product. They backed it up!! I am soo happy.