Need a little help here.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stephenslawncare, Mar 4, 2007.

1. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I dont have a company policy, I just couldnt think of another way to word it. I guess you could call it my "commitment to excellence" LOL. I didnt tell the customer I had a company policy, I think I said something along the lines of "I want your yard to look good because if it doesnt, my company doesnt look as good so that is why I cant not edge" or something like that. Thanks for the help guys.

PS. The customer did try to talk me out of it by saying "nobody ever sees that patch of grass" and "my old LCO didnt edge that part". I said "sorry".

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have given bids where the customer said they wouldn't be home. What we do is ask where the property lines are on the phone, before we go out to see the property. Then on the estimate form, where we write the price, we state that the price is based on the property lines of such and such, wherever we were told the property ended. Helps prevent any confusion.

3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have folded on situations like this more times than I care to mention but you will learn. Sticking to your guns will pay off. Just don't let your customers bully you.
    Good luck, sounds like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

16 years ago, i started at 13, and at that time i was getting a min of $20. i think when you come across not sure of your prices, and cheap, people think they can walk all over you. try using phase like " i will do for >>)

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my bad, let me finish, try using phase like "I will do it for ____ dollars" if anyone ever questions you stand your ground, you will come across much more cofident and sound like you know excactly what your talking about, not to say you dont

6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice here ... and let me say that you did the right thing by coming right out and saying that you would have to give her another bid. That in itself shows you have already developed that business sense about you that you need to make it in business for yourself.

I would suggest sticking to your new bid ... and for only $5. more I think she will realize just how good of a young businessman you are already becoming. Trust me, many older people do recognize this, and will tell you they do later on. If in fact she does go elsewhere over $5.00 ... you probably wouldn't want her as a customer anyway.

Good job! Good luck!
    :weightlifter:

7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

tell her that her old ass can go out there and mow her self. thats if she dont like your price, cause there are not to many people that will mow for $18. unless she finds a kid like your self. that will do it with there parents mowers and cheap. and not as good also.

8. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a tip you might take with you. I NEVER quote anything without that person being there. That way I know exactly where property lines etc. are. Its not as important for mowing, as it is for landscaping. I ALWAYS make sure the customer is there for the estimate. This way they can meet you face to face, you know who your doing business with, and know who's writing your paychecks!!!! If you never see the person, you don't know who's paying you etc. It's good to meet that person and show them you are someone that is serious about your work. I learned the hard way by getting hosed on a few jobs because I didn't have the customer there to walk through it.

9. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Stephenslawncare,

Gas around here is about $2.50 a gallon.You need to know how much gas your mower burns a hour and set a minum hrly. rate or minum charge per lawn. For me no less then $30-35 for a small yard less then 25 min. of work.

Do not give out a bid with out the customer there if you can. That way there is no confusion about the work that was bided. I measure all propertys so i know sqr. ft. and where the property line are.

10. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

or you can say $10-$100 some where around there depending on stuff tell them they will need to be there to tell you every thing and to walk the yard with you