need a little help here..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haynestotallawn, Jun 3, 2002.

1. haynestotallawn

haynestotallawn LawnSite Member

guys, I am in my first solo year. I am doing it part time and also in the process of building a new home. Needless to say money is tight with moving expenses, not to mention the wife wants new furniture for the new house and all. We are currently staying with my mother in law :)( ) and are paying half the bills, plus I am maintainin her yard. So we are able to save a little money right now. Now here is my problem, business is growing, and I want it to grow more and more, so I am in need of upgrading my existing equipment (Trailer, mowers, edgers etc.) but the wife wants to hang on to extra money for extra furniture for the new house. How can I convince this woman that more business means more cash flow which means more for "things" for the new house? I just need to spend a few grand, with the work I have I can replace that in a few weeks time. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell her you are investing in the Future not the Furniture. My wife also has a passion for furniture. I think men must put their foot down every once in a while to let the women know who wears the pants in the house.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well do it carefully! It's ok to wear the pants but just don't step on anyone's toes while you're at it! Sometimes we men don't see where are feet are when we're so high up with those pants on....

4. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

Well...
    As a wife I will tell you that after 7 years of marriage, my husband and I just bought our first new set of furniture. We had hand-me-downs before that. I never pushed him to buy new furniture, I knew we'd get it when we could afford it. Before we bought the furniture, we bought our equipment. I knew it was important to our family to get the business going, so furniture would have to wait.

She should want you to make your business successful. Go and buy what you need.

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, tell her you are investing. But since you are part time it will be a hard sell to her. The only other thing I can tell you is don't jump the gun and buy lots of equipment that your situation may not warrant. I have been following a good friends business model. He has been in business 4 years full time now. Here is is equipment list. Toro-proline 21 inch, two trimmers, one edger, one blower and one pickup (no trailer). He makes $300 plus a day.

good luck

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I agree with coonman. Buy it slowly, one thing here and one thing there. Also we have been going for over 20 yrs now and a lot of our edgers and trimmers are atleast 10 yrs old, we only upgrade if one goes down for good.Just maintain what you have and it will last a long time.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Are you looking at a WB or ZTR or what - You can buy a narrow WB - add the Flex-Deck for very little more for an extra 18" of width that does the trimming and contour mowing - here is a pic of an old - very old eXmark 36" WB (Now mowing 54") in transport position to get you thru the gates, and the next post will show it in mowing position which is 54" (Check out the difference between a 36" WB and a 54" WB, and I think we are very reasanble because we give you much more in the trimming and contour mowing areas, and if you want to do a good job, that is where it is at). If you want a ZTR, check out Dixie Chopper - they have the Flex-Deck.
    [​IMG]

36-trans.jpg

8. Flex-Deck

This is a 52" eXmark with the Flex-Deck - Under trees - the 36" would also go under the trees
    [​IMG]

52-under trees.jpg

9. Patrick Harvey

Patrick Harvey LawnSite Member

Hey flex,
    Could you please post some pics of the quality of cut on actual turf? I like the idea. Does it articulate well into ditches?
    pat

10. Flex-Deck

Pics were taken early this spring, but it does mow well - here is one in a ditch
    [​IMG]

It will mow well up to 45 degrees in the flexed up position - it drops 10 degrees so you can hang it over banks and ponds etc

52-flexed in ditch.jpg