Need a little help pleasie

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Duekster, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am looking to hire some one for a squirt and fert. Even have decided to use a head hunter.

I am looking for some cost calculations and profitability.

I know cost are going up and production type stuff but this is confusing me.

I want to pay well but I want to make sure I stay a float too.

:hammerhead:

2. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Nobody has any rough figures?

I know yard sizes vary and what not but most lawns are going to be less than 5K and will incure a minimum charge.

I figure chemical and fertilizer cost at around 1.25 per 1000 SF.

3. fairview

fairview LawnSite Member
    from TX

Here is your problem. For you to remain price competitive, the applicator must be willing to take a discount on his services assuming you are going to take a certain % for providing the service.

I am a licensed applicator. Unless you could show me that you could provide upwards of 500 clients immediately and cut me a check in advance for the entire year before I put my gloves and gator boots on, you would not turn my head. Why would I want your work for less than I am making with my own work? I have the skill, experience, equipment and most importantly the license and insurance that you don't have to do the work that you can't. Any business savvy applicator realizes his advantage and your disadvantage in this situation and is going to laugh when you suggest he/she discount their cost. Any applicator that is willing to discount his work for a small number of clients is desperate for work for one reason or another, namely quality.

Bottom line, if your customers are upset about the appearance of their weed infested lawn, all we have to do is be patient and wait and they will come to us on their own accord.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

That is one spin. I have another spin entirely. But that is just me. I do work for guys that have anywhere from 10 clients upward. If it took 500 clients to turn my head I would not have the business I do now. Around here you have to be licensed and insured to be able to sign a contract.

Bottom line is that everyone is here to make money.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Thanks for your input. I am talking about bringing on a guy in-house. I supply the License, insurance, chemical, truck, clients.

6. turf hokie

I would figure you should probably figure your labor at about the same as your material. Not knowing what guys make in your area.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Honestly I don't either. I sold chemicals in 55 gallon drums for many years. I got all my applicator info from suppliers. I never worked for a scott's or TG.

I am just getting too busy to do the applications.

8. turf hokie

Sent a PM to you

9. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Thanks so much:)