Need A Little Help With a Quote...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derekbroerse, Mar 28, 2006.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

A lot of you probably recognize me from the Plowsite forums, but today is my first day on Lawnsite. I am not a landscaper... but have been asked a favor by one of my long-time commercial plow customers, who also happens to be a neighbour. Her husband died last fall and she now has a large property to maintain and has asked if I can take care of a few things for her, including mowing the lawn.

I figured it wouldn't be a problem since I have to do my own, and another neighbour's already (vacation house) that I barter for... but my problem now is that I have no idea how to quote out a lawn-cutting project, and what the going rates are.

The 'lawn' is more or less a well-kept field--about 8 acres she said. Smaller trees, a fair number of them. Needs basically to be kept short, nothing fancy... followed up with a hit from a weed eater. Not a big deal. Her son figured it was between 6-8 hrs a week of work.

There are two options: I can use my own equipment, or theirs. I have no idea what they have, so I lean towards my own. I have an older International diesel with a 6' finishing mower on the rear and a JD214 garden tractor with 46" deck. I would have to buy a new weedeater, probably will be leaning towards a cheaper unit since this isn't really full-time... probably a Poulan Pro since I already have had excellent success with their 20" chainsaw and leafblower... and already have mixed fuel for their ratio.

I need to come up with a price for each option.

Sorry if this isn't in the right section, I'm not familiar with the sections on this site...! :hammerhead:

Is there anything else I need to know for this job? Its very informal. More of a favor than anything else. I am not looking to get rich off her, but don't want to work for free either. Just looking for a fair quote. PS she is also a friend of my mom's so I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks guys!
    :canadaflag:

2. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Derek

How's 'the Beast'?

Does the whole 8 have to be mowed? Regularly? You are probably going to need 18 cuts a season if it is an average rough lawn. Tractors are going out for at least $60 an hour. What ever you get for the plow truck should be about what you get for the tractor. Cut and trim would be at LEAST 8 hours. Any chance of posting a pic of the site? (I know that you don't have ANY snow left:clapping: ). What kind of cutting speed can you get out of the tractor? As I read your post you are next door so transport is a non-issue.

Ross

3. LRLS

LRLS LawnSite Member

You need to get at least $1.00 per min. You should also buy a commercial trimmer Good tools are Good money spent.Don`t go cheap, been down that road.A good trimmer will make half the work.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldnt take 8 hours, if its wide open flat mowing 3.5-4.5 hrs with a 6 ft mower. I dont know how much trimming there is but lets say there is an hour. Quote the job at 6 hours to be safe, bid it at $300-350 and you should be alright.

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to here that your trying in your best interest to help this Lady friend out
    One thing i would be looking at Is...How much can she afford,,,Is she on a budget or is she doing Ok...If she is doing ok with money...for 8 acres just a guess there will be alot of going around trees and not too much open area were you can give errr...remember the trees don't have to be trimmed every time that you Mow say once a month...and just wiper snip around the house area when you mow...then do the whole area when you trim the trees monthly .......It sounds like without seeing it ...7 hrs for a complete cut a trim and 3-1/2 hrs for your weekly cut@50.00 per hr can dollars...That is a deal and you would be giving her a break...Good luck:waving:

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I wrote her an email and told her, and got a response requesting an in-person meeting after next week. Sounds promising.

The Bomb (s) are doing well... probably going to hit #1 with a quick paint job this spring as the deep grey metallic is weathering off badly now... not bad for a driveway paint job from 1999 though. I also just bought some stainless headers, cats, and mufflers for it too, because I am tired of the constant exhaust problems in the salt. I have a list of things to do all at once on it as everything is dependant on each other... so this spring will be busy. Swapping on a pair of Vortec heads, Vortec/TBI intake from GMPP, the above exhaust parts, and (finally) the Ranger Overdrive.... since all are tied into the exhaust changes. I think its going to be a busy YEAR!