1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need a little help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Mar 19, 2001.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what the best way to rip out hedges i have row of hedges to rip out i dont think my path finder is strong enough to rip them out and it would take like two days for me to dig them out just wondering is there something faster thanx ronnie
  2. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

How about chainsaw them down to the ground and then rent a stump grinder. If they are privet they may come out easily. It depends on the size and type of hedge. Do you know what type of plant(s) the hedge consists of?

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Go rent a large U-hAUL FOR 20 BUCKS THAT'LL PULLEM UP>
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cut them off at 4 or 5 ft. tall, and narrow them. Use a chain, and you may have to dig around them a bit. If you have a forester's axe, use it. This is your ultimate tool for chopping the roots out. If you don't have one-BUY one. It's too valuable of a tool not to have. If you don't know what this is, it's a pick/axe like tool with blades on each side-one vertical, the other horizontal. If you have access to get your vehicle to them, use a chain and hook up! With a little digging and chopping as they are being pulled, they will come right out. Make sure you don't cut them too low though! I've seen too mant people do this. They cut them down to about 2 ft., and expect to be able to pull them out. Also Once they are out, don't pull them far out of the hole. (the less, the better) because THIS is where you want to knock all the dirt off. This way, it's right in and near the hole.:) Good luck!
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure of the name of the hedges but there medium size do you think my truck would be able to pull them or rent the uhaul
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I did this several yrs ago using a Ranger yet.
    Runners post tells how to getum ready.
    A little knowledge an all that.LUCK TO YA
  7. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Subcontract someone with a small backhoe and dump truck to rip them out and then haul them away for you. Build the price into your estimate and look like a professional doing it.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Man I have pulled up more bushes than I care to remember, I have a E-350 cube van, and that sucker is heavy. Get a chain and the u-haul and pullem out. Then if any thing is left get a pick-ax and break up the rest of the roots.