1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need a little help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Customer sent these pics and I dont have the ability to look at the lawn today.

Last round was all liquid--urea @1/2lb N per K, 12-0-0 iron @ 6 oz per K, merit, eliminate. Put down 2 1/2 weeks ago.

It has not stopped raining here for almost 2 weeks.

Red Thread is prevelant and have seen some dollar spot. I am leaning toward that just knowing conditions but thought the quick release N would have hidden it. Next round is 16-2-3 from Nutrients Plus in 2 weeks

This lawn was slow to green up this spring as it is KBG/PR sod blend.

He is a PITA and has not stopped complaining about this and that. This problem is front yard only back is pristine.

I am taking a soil sample for sh;ts and giggles. this lawn has not been prone to problems for the last 2 years.

Thanks for being another set of eyes since it is tough to tell from the pics.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm seeing a lot of Nitrogen and NO potassium. Those roots have got to have something to take in all of that Nitrogen. Any more info. Looks fungal to me.
  3. turf hokie

We put down a 10% potassium fert on the first round with dimension that was about 7 weeks ago.

I know it was more N than I wanted but we were looking for a quick green and with the weather conditions we wanted to push some growth to try to out grow any fungus.

90% of the soil tests around here come back high in P and K. It is just a matter of managing the availability of those nutrients.

That is why we are taking a soil test just to make sure as we have not tested in about 18months.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks fungal to me too, but it sure doesn't look like red thread or dollar spot, but you already knew that. Maybe pythium? Could be one of those fungi that have to be examined with a microscope for an ID.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Even if your fertility program is perfect, diseases will happen when the weather conditions do not cooperate. I have been surprised by dollar spot on my lawns as well. At that point I stop saying "why, why, why" and get on it with a fungicide rotation. There is nothing I can do about it being 80F and 75% humidity at night, with a day time high of 90+. There is much I can to to contain the problem and minimize the damage immediately. It seems that many like to dwell on "why, why why?" because it is politically correct to do so. Fungicides work when they are applied correctly.
  6. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like brown patch to me. Watch for the areas inside the somke rings to wilt and die. Well...don't wait for that, do as greendoctor suggested. In addition to a fungicide, raise the height of cut, cut back on nitrogen until late summer, and hope things dry out.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My vote goes for red thread. Its everywhere. Around here red thread is common, disappears about mid July and dollarspot becomes prominent.

Unusual sod--part rye and part blue? Is it too high in ryegrass? What cultivar?
  8. greendoctor

On a residential lawn, with active disease, I apply 3336 + Prostar, followed by Eagle 20EW, followed by Insignia. This is done on a two week rotation. Be it brown patch, dollar spot, leaf spot or red thread, this rotation picks it up. The cost of the fungicides is way less than my losing the account because the lawn died. I also up the potassium and micronutrients on affected turf. All of my fungicide applications are applied in a mix of 1/4 lb potassium nitrate and the label rate of an iron, manganese, magnesium and sulfur micro mix.
  9. turf hokie

Thanks for the help guys. I am pretty sure it is red thread just based on weather even though I cant see the red mycelium. I thought maybe brown patch as well, but the conditions just arent here for rhizoctonia now, I could be wrong but from the pics it is hard to tell.

We just starting getting humid yesterday and of course it has been raining again today since about 1pm but if you are watching the open your probably already see how wet we have been.

I dont know what types of KBG/PR it is as the lawn has been established for a while. I can tell you that we overseeded with nutrients plus seed in the fall and a straight rye this spring. I have to look at the specs on the seed, maybe Barry could help, it was a KBG/PR mix and the only cultivar I remember is Guinness but that could be b/c I am part Irish:dizzy:.

I am going to apply a fungicide on Monday, I have to look on the shelf for what I have in stock. I will probably go with Eagle first. It sucks that we cant use Manicure (Chlorothalonil) on residential.

Again, Thanks for the help.
  10. greendoctor

Back in the day, I remember mixing 8 oz 3336 and Daconil to treat fungus infected lawns. It always worked and no I did not kill anyone's dogs, cats or kids spraying this on a lawn.