Need a manual...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by mhelberg, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mhelberg

mhelberg LawnSite Member

I just bought an used olser emark mower. There are two numbers on the side where the serial number is supposed to be. The numbers are stamped into the tag but the writting is all gone. They are M48-14k-5 and 91047. Can you give me a build date and send a manual (I have been reading some other posts and you said this was no problem...). Thanks!

I also have a question regarding the upgrading of some of the components. Is it possible to upgrade the spindles to the newer ones without the grease fittings? Thanks in advance!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mhelberg,

That my friend is a 1994 Metro with a 14 hp Kawasaki and a 5 speed peerless transmission.

Send me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com and I'll have a manual sent out asap.

Yest you can upgrade the spindles but if it were me and I was wanting to upgrade anything I'd probably look at the ECS controls real close as well.

Thanks

3. mhelberg

mhelberg LawnSite Member

Since you mentioned the transmission... It will shift into gear and run just fine (pulls without any problems) but the throw with the lever is very far. Example, to get it to go into neutral you need to shift it all the way into reverse and then you can move the lever back to neutral andf it will stay there. Is this something I should worry about (like get a new trans) or is it just a little wear since it is a 1994?

4. eXmark

MH,

The shifter problem could be nothing more that an issue with the shift plate that has the gear indicator decal on it. This plate is adjustable side to side. It's possible that it was removed and installed a little off or has simply shifted due to some type of impact.

Thanks

Terry

5. mhelberg

mhelberg LawnSite Member

Already checked that... It is definitely inside the transmission. The lever just seems to have a lot of play in it. Meaning that in order to shift to the next gear (or reverse/neutral) I need to move the lever a lot farther than normal (I am comparing it to my 2004 36" Metro). In fact, to get it into reverse I need to move the lever all the way to the left (so that it indicates it is in reverse). After I move it all the way to the left and it clicks into neutral, I can then move the lever back to the right until it is in the #1 spot and the trans will still be in neutral. The lever is very tightly screwed onto the shaft and there is no play between the two, so I am assuming the "play" is inside the transmission. Is this something I should be concerned about?

6. eXmark

Mhelberg,

You could have a problem with the shifter keys in the trans. On those older models the shifter itself could also wear causing some issues. I couldn't hurt to remove the shifter and inspect in more closely. If the problem is internal I'd recommend taking the unit to the dealer.

Thanks

Terry
    Terry

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

be advised they changed the gear handle after 2001 ( i think 2001). mine and 65hoss's are the same mower but different years and his feels way different than mine.