Need a mower for cutting slopes, by next week!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpruceLandscape, May 17, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hey everyone
    I'm looking for some good feedback on a mower that I can use specifically for cutting on pretty steep slopes. It also needs to have the capability to bag if necessary. I am leaning towards a turf tracer 48 or 50ish, but was wondering about the newer scags, or even a stander? I need to pic something up by next wednesday for two new accounts that I just landed and my Walker was not exactly the ideal machine for these properties. Thanks

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

any walk behind will do just make sure you get a hydro

3. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

We use our 48 Lazer and go up and down works well. I think and rider of this sort will do the trick. How step of a slope you talking about?

4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

unfortunately up and down won't work, I need to go across the slope. The real PITA one is on top of an aeration system that is raised because of poor drainage in the yard already, on top of that its in the woods, so its always wet on the slope, and sloppy/sludgey mud on the bottom, so I need somthing that will hold the slope well without sliding down. I am leaning towards a turf tracer, but didn't know what scag has to offer anymore these days. My Walker couldn't hold the slope when going across more than the first two passes near the bottom, then it starts sliding down sideways. Its tough to judge, but I would guess the steepest part is about 35-40 degrees. Looked just shy of a 45.

5. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know maybe some round up then wait a week and burn it

6. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

I second this !
    Turf tracer should do just fine....ECS handles and hydro's...gotta love em.
    The ECS handles makes a world of difference on hills like that.
    Good luck

C

7. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

im thinking of getting a turf tracer im going to demo one this week and use it in the cemetery that i do just to see cause if it will handle that it will handle my other accounts.

8. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I have a cub walk 48" behind. Sure works well for me.