Need a mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

Situation -

Going through my 4th mower now. It is a Cub Cadet LT1046 that I bought new from a dealer. I have a rough yard with a lot of slope. So much slope in fact that I worry about turning over when I go side to side and the Hydro slips when I go up. What type of mower would be best to mow around 1.5 acres of this type of lawn. I really need advice guys, I can't afford to keep on buying mowers and I need to get it right this time. I would like to keep it under 2 grand if possible and used equipment doesn't scare me. Oh, I am a big fella, around 300 lbs and I would prefer to ride or be pulled with this much ground to cover. Would a Swisher finish mower pulled behind an ATV work? Or should I look at a walk behind or a commercial ZTR?

Help Please

Roger

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

A Swisher pulled behind an ATV should work !! Also, you should think about commercial grade machines, not residential. Clearly, a ZTR is preferable.

3. Roger Wilkerson

I know I need commercial and I think Swisher is residential. I have been thinking about renting a commercial ZTR and trying it out

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't rent one, bring a demo home.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If your slopes are 'overly' steep then a dual hydro walk behind might be the safer route...as these have a lower center of gravity than ZTRs and can pull you (at least in the more level/flat areas). If you're dead set on riding as opposed to walking then a Wright Stander might be a suitable alternative...once again, this ALL depends on your slopes.

Good luck!

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Just what I was thinking. At least if something happens it will not roll over on top of him.

7. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

The reason you are going through tractors is because of the slope.
    The cheaper tractors don't have full pressure lubrication, and are only good on a slope of 15 degrees (running continuously).
    The tractors with full pressure lube ar good on a slope of 25 degrees maximum continually.

If your slope is more than this, you are goinig to wear out even commercial equipment.

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

The LT1046 probably cost you about $1800, and I presume you spent a comparable amount for each of the other three. How many years have you typically been getting out of these? I doubt if you'll be able to get much for under $2000. Wouldn't you be better off spending 3 or 4 times what you would like to spend and get something of far better quality? A commercial ZTR would be your best bet, but unless you are really lucky, you may never find even a used one for only 2 grand. And how steep are your hills? "A lot of slope" isn't very descriptive. But if you have been mowing them with what I consider a to be puny lawn tractor and you weigh 300, those slopes probably aren't more than 15 degrees. If that's the case, I would expect any of the commercial ZTRs could handle that. If I weighed what you say you do, I'd be looking for at least a 25HP engine on whatever you pick out.

9. Roger Wilkerson

Great Idea

10. Roger Wilkerson

There seem to be a lot of small LCO's selling out around St. Louis, I have been seeing some pretty good deals. What I would like to pay and what I actually pay will be 2 different things I realize but I could get lucky. I haven't measured the degree of slope but suffice it to say that when going straight across I have to hang off of the uphill side of the mower. I could go diagonal with a ZTR though as the main issue is turning around.