1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need a new 21" mower.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Don32, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

New to the site and so far I have been impressed with the information available. I am in no means a commercial lawn company but I will be taking on 3-4 residential lawns this spring and looking for a new 21" self propelled mower. I would love to purchase a larger walk behing but not in budget and for 3-4 lawns not really worth it for me right now. I currently have a deere JS63 for mysef only which I know is strictly residential but so far I like and have had no problems in 5 years except for new gas tank. Looking for others out there that may be a good option. Price obviously important but not the most. Looking for something dependable and ease of maintaining and servicable.

Thank you and again, good site.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I would say a commercial Toro (Proline). One could be had for $899 for the non blade brake model. Keep in mind that you will get 4 - 5 years wear on your mower in the 1 year that you use it. I would keep the deer since you like it and dont replace till it gives up the ghost.
  3. Trukfr8

Trukfr8 LawnSite Member

I also only mow 3 lawns myself. I actually use used Lawnboy's. They are cheap and never break down (much). Look at ebay for some mowers.I like Lawnboys cause they have side chutes, I personally hate rear baggers. For a small 21" mower, I highly recommend Lawnboy.
  4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

we use honda commercial 21" hydros exclusively... what a mower!!
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

sad to imform you lawnboys are only sold as rear baggers now. they are the same as a toro but painted green . i use older lawnboys too but the best 21 is the john deere jx75 . honda second best -toro 3rd
  6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What is their size? Although pricey I would seriously look at the Toro Proline series, in the $800-1200 price range. It will seriously last a long time if you take care of it.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

After finally giving up on Exmark's Metro 26 ever coming in (they were way behind in production), I decided to just buy something cheap but decent to get me through the summer. Bought a Husqvarna at Lowe's for a little over $440. It has a Honda 5.5 hp engine, ball bearing wheels, and hydrostatic drive. By no way is this a Toro proline or Honda commercial but with all the negative feedback I've heard of the Metro 26, I'm keeping this little gem 'til it drops!
  10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro proline with the Honda engine.