1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need a new 21" push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blake711, Jan 8, 2008.

1. blake711

blake711 LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I need to purchase a new 21" push mower this spring. Self propelled, prefer discharge or mulch is ok if it works good. I will not be bagging. This is for my personal home use but I want something that will last a long long time. I always try and purchase good equipment but I made a mistake a few years ago. I bought a $350 Husqavarna from my local dealer a few years ago with honda engine. It was a Giant heavy turd. The deck had 4 revisions in one season, the side discharge clogged up in about 10 feet. The mulcher was a joke and would die every 5 feet. Thankfully I bent the crank on it so now I get to do what I should have done 3 years ago and buy a better mower. I am looking for a good reliable commercial mower to last me years.

thanks for the input.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Toro Super Recycler ~$550 or ~$500 w/o bag
    Light and maneuverable, great cut.
    Side discharge is vastly superior to rear discharge.
    Mulches grass and leaves well.

Or, go commercial for several hundred more $$$s.

.02 // YMMV
  3. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I would look at a used John Deere JX75, JX85 or 14SB. These are the best 21" mower ever made. You can buy these for 200-400 and are better than the 1200.00 commercial mowers out there.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Valk. Toro Super Recycler - Bought it new for about $500 and I used it in my business this past season (part time but used much more than a homeowner would), and it held up wonderfully. Easy to maneuver and light. Don't waste your money on a 21" commercial, well over $1000 and not worth it for the homeowner use you will be subjecting it to.
  5. Valk

...and the (newer) Toro Super Recycler decks now mow up to 4.25" tall.
    I cut nearly all of lawns at 3.75". Great mower for the money.
  6. blake711

blake711 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I meant to edit my original post and say I was willing to go up to $800.00 US. I didn't see anyway to edit the original post though.

7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be looking at the new Lawnboy 21" this spring. Someone posted a pic on here of it and I went to the website and looked at it. called around and everyone had good things to say about it so I'm going to try one out. If you go and look on thewebsite its the one with orange wheels.
  8. blake711

blake711 LawnSite Member

Mike which model of the lawnboy? There are 4 commericals with orange wheels? My dealer that I got my trimmer, blower and chainsaw from sells Lawnboy. I know that Toro now owns them. I don't see a lawnboy model equivelent to the Super recycler. The LBs you are talking about come with a briggs option or a Honda option.

I always heard great stuff about honda mowers but that husqy with the honda 5.5 was a dog.

The flip side is I worked in the Small engine parts biz 10 years ago and was used to kawisaki and Susuki engines being on good mowers not briggs. I noticed the super recyclers all have briggs. Are the briggs engines that good now that toro trusts them?

9. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I would get a Honda HRX or HRC The HRC's are really nice, just my 2cents
  10. Valk

Also, have heard/read that the Blade Brake Clutch (BBC) Toro's do not mulch as well as the Zone Start models. I've only bought Zone Start, so I have no direct experience with BBCs.