need a new better lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by docmeyer, Jan 23, 2002.

1. docmeyer

docmeyer LawnSite Member

I know this must be a common "q', but I just bought a house and the lawn is in pretty bad shape. I am ready and willing to do whatever it takes to get it green. Are there any websites with a step by step approach for accomplishing this?

TIA

Doc

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc,
    Probably most websites that you find with info on lawn renovation will be area specific, for instance you're in Va so a website on lawn renovation in Fla. won't do the best job for you, while it will give you some pointers.

What are you wanting to achieve with your yard? What sort of look do you want it to have? That will help you determine the type of grass that you should sow/sod. Also, how long do you want it to be green through the year? If you want it to be green year round without putting in a temp. for winter, zoysia or bermuda wouldn't be very good choices, for example.

This site is full of pros that are willing to help and I'm sure there are some in your area, that know best what works there. Good luck!

3. docmeyer

docmeyer LawnSite Member

Thanks for the scoop. I'm hoping to accomplish everything myself. Basically I want a really green lawn, year round will be great.

This is a round to it project, I just want ideas for when spring rolls around.

Right now the lawn is a mess, it was never cared for.

I did some more surfing and found some hints.

Cheers,

Doc

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I meant, doc, that these pro's would be willing to help you with advice, not necessarily service. Good luck, again!

5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

If you or you know someone who has a digital camera, take a picture of it and post it and that should help us understand where your lawn is heading, even though it is the middle of winter, it will help.

6. docmeyer

docmeyer LawnSite Member

Hey WOW, talk about 21st century! I'll get on it!

~d

7. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

The local county extenuation office in your area will give you a great start. They may offer a soil analysis. If they do, do this first. it will take a few weeks to get the results. Depending on what your soil needs, it could take several months to adjust the pH. Do a search on this site on lawn renovation, overseeding, and aeration. :)

Try this link
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/offices/

8. docmeyer

docmeyer LawnSite Member

Thanks Ricky, not to get off the thread but the Lord has been blessing us so greatly in our house project, and proof again!

Doc

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

find out what the ph levels are in several different spots of your lawn, and an over all soil anasis. what type of grass you have and what types of grass would best fit your lawn (( due to the tolerance) either full sun, 50/50, or full shade) it might take a year or 2 if not longer to get your lawn to where you want it. things don't happen over night with lawns there just like humans it takes time to get someone over weigh into shape. take to your extensionist in your area, that shouldn't charge alot and will point you in the right dirrection

10. docmeyer

docmeyer LawnSite Member

I'll do that, actually a freind has PhD in botany, she is the proverbial green thumb (although you couldn't tell it by her lawn, but everything else she grows, she's into this natural lawn thing...) anyway, she has connections that can get the soil analysis.

Thanks,

~D